Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Is my transmission messed up? 2006 Ford F150 trouble when accelerating from 1st

Hello community!

I have a 2006 Ford F150 XLT with a 5.4 L Triton engine and automatic transmission. In the past few days I have noticed it doing some strange things when I drive it:

1.) When the truck is in Drive, and I try to accelerate from a complete stop, it has a jerky motion and takes a long time to actually begin moving.

If I am stopped and I put the shifter into 1st, this seems to fix the problem and I just shift into drive once I reach an appropriate speed.

2.) When I am going at highway speeds (60-70 mph) and I take my foot off the gas, it slows down and feels like how a car with a manual transmission might feel if you use downshifting to brake it.

3.) Just recently, an alert has been flashing on my dash that says "O/D off" even though I have not turned the overdrive off.

These problems seem to happen most when the truck has been driving for awhile. The truck only has 71,000 miles on it. I have checked the transmission fluid and it is a purple/red color and it is at the correct level.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what this could be? My father-in-law mentioned something to me about a "clutch pack" but he is no more an expert at this than I am. It seems to me that it is not properly shifting into 1st.

Please help!!! Thank you!

blacksnapon

Staff member
Sounds like a valve body/solenoid issue. There will be dtcs stored, that will be the place to start.

Fellro

Staff member
Diagnostic Trouble Codes, which can be read by using a scanner. The computer sets a trouble code when it detects a sensor out of range or other electrical malfunctions.

What trans is in the truck?? I dont know what engines had what trans in gen 11 trucks.

Its going to me I think a 4r75 or a 4R100. unless its a 5 speed then it would me a 5R55. only the F250 and 350 got the 5R110.

Theres a TSB out on your truck if its a 4R75. And the trans brakes apart inside. The planets brake inside the trans. I have one here that did it.
If it has done that i would not drive it.

Like the others said. You need to find out that codes are in the computer if the O/D light is blinking. It could be as easy as one of the speed sensor went bad in the trans. hopefully its that and you can fix it your self. and its a cheap fix. Take to autozone or some place and get the code or codes # are out of it. and i need your vin # and post it on here and i can tell. what the codes are and what they stand for and what my Snap on scan says how to fix them.

It definitely sounds something is wrong with your transmission. I go to Kent City Ford, they are always helpful and you can call. Unfortunately, transmission are expensive and get real pricey.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts