Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

97 aerostar starter

have had this 97 for 3 years never had a starting problem untill 2 days ago. the starter got hung up. I checked the battery and it was good so I took a hammer to the starter (have used this trick before) and was able to start van for about 8-10 times before it happened again. :headbang:

So here is my question - I will replace the starter (build date 7/97) older style starter with reman with limited lifetime as I plan on keeping van forever.

Is there anything I need to check while replacing starter besides the teeth on flex plate. I only want to go under van once.
Thinking problem to be worn bushing or bearing in starter and new starter will fix, but I'm no mechanic so best to ask.
[confused]

I also will remove battery as to get to check level in cells, the battery has a full body cover, first I ever noticed, and clean terminals. I'm 70 and my dad taught me the first thing to check when car wont start is check battery connection. and clean when changing starter or "generator" thats how long ago it was!

blacksnapon

Staff member
have had this 97 for 3 years never had a starting problem untill 2 days ago. the starter got hung up. I checked the battery and it was good so I took a hammer to the starter (have used this trick before) and was able to start van for about 8-10 times before it happened again. :headbang:

So here is my question - I will replace the starter (build date 7/97) older style starter with reman with limited lifetime as I plan on keeping van forever.

Is there anything I need to check while replacing starter besides the teeth on flex plate. I only want to go under van once.
Thinking problem to be worn bushing or bearing in starter and new starter will fix, but I'm no mechanic so best to ask.
[confused]

I also will remove battery as to get to check level in cells, the battery has a full body cover, first I ever noticed, and clean terminals. I'm 70 and my dad taught me the first thing to check when car wont start is check battery connection. and clean when changing starter or "generator" thats how long ago it was!
You pretty much covered all bases other than bolt torque and cable condition.

Thanks blacksnapon :wavey: : I try to reason out what could cause the problem but wasn't sure I covered all the bases. I will check the bolts prior to removing starter to see if not tight.
I have already checked the battery end of the cable and planned to check starter end while there.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts