Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Coolant Filter - 6.0L PSD (Dieselsite Brand)

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Here are pics of my dieselsite.com coolant filter install.

This is the best mod I have done and it took about an hour.

I installed mine at 50,000 miles after flushing my system with distilled water and fresh Ford Premium Gold Coolant.

The post below shows what it filters out yuk.... that is sand that is left over from when the motors were casted. This stuff is what eats away at seals, your radiator and waterpump!!!!

Attachments

• Coolant Filter - Radiator Mounting.JPG
  • Coolant Filter - Slice Into Tank.JPG
  • Coolant Filter - Splice Into Heater Hose.JPG
  • Coolant Filter Ball Valves.JPG
Last edited:

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Here are pictures of what the dieselsite.com coolant filter takes out!!!

Please keep in mind that I flushed my system with distilled water 5 times and refilled with fresh Ford Premium Gold coolant... and this was still filtered out!!

Sand is abrasive and eats away at your motor, water pump, radiator, reduced cooling and much more!!!

This filter was only in-service for 6,000 miles!!!!!!!!!

A picture is worth a 1,000 words!!!!

Attachments

• Bottom of Filter - Opened.JPG
  • Close-up Of Sand.JPG
  • Sand In Coffee Filter.JPG
  • Coolant Filter - Opened.JPG
  • Close-Up Of Filter Media.JPG
Last edited:

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
What did you use to cut the filter open Jeff?? I'm getting ready to hange mine in a bit and want to cut it open as well.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
What did you use to cut the filter open Jeff?? I'm getting ready to hange mine in a bit and want to cut it open as well.

First time I used a hacksaw and held the filter in my vise as I cut. I just rotated the filter every so often until I got all the way around. Filter casing is thicker than you will think.

Second time it was with a Dremmel tool.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
I wish I had not waited so long to put the coolant filter on.

After cutting the filter open, I am amazed that Navistar does not clean these blocks up any better before assembly. The sand is left over casting sand from when the block is made. Surely they can high-pressure clean these things better for longevity... especially when Ford states in the manual not to change the coolant for 100,000 miles.

This however is too long for me (filter or not). The pictures of what the filter takes out is worth a 1,000 owrds and should be the first mod that all diesel motor owners should buy and install.

I will flush and change out my cooling system again when I hit 100,000 - 110,000 miles (I now have 90,000 as of today).

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
After reading about them on FTE, I decided to buy one. We installed it when we did all the other engine work. That was at 12,875 miles. I got it nice and early. :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts