Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

brake fluid draining to ?

daddue11

Missouri Chapter member
Hello friends,I have 1981 f150 with a inline 6 4.9 and I'm having a problem figuring out where the brake fluid is leaking out at.
It always drains out of the small front bowl of the master cylinder and never out of the back one.
the brake pedal goes way down and it seems like there is not any pressure until you get to the last inch or two of pedal,then it stops on a dime. I looked at the wheels and can't see a obvious leak on any of the wheels and I don't see any leaks from the lines.
I filled it up and drove around the block and checked the fluid level afterwards and it was fine but the pedal was rely soft.
It sat for five days and when I checked it again the front bowl was dry again and the truck hadn't moved.
Please insert your opinion about what the problem could be.
Thanks daddue11

blacksnapon

Staff member
Hello friends,I have 1981 f150 with a inline 6 4.9 and I'm having a problem figuring out where the brake fluid is leaking out at.
It always drains out of the small front bowl of the master cylinder and never out of the back one.
the brake pedal goes way down and it seems like there is not any pressure until you get to the last inch or two of pedal,then it stops on a dime. I looked at the wheels and can't see a obvious leak on any of the wheels and I don't see any leaks from the lines.
I filled it up and drove around the block and checked the fluid level afterwards and it was fine but the pedal was rely soft.
It sat for five days and when I checked it again the front bowl was dry again and the truck hadn't moved.
Please insert your opinion about what the problem could be.
Thanks daddue11
Sometimes, the master cylinder will take the fluid from one compartment, and put it into the other. Just follow the lines from the master cyl to the wheels to verify no leaks.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Also, look at where the M/C bolts to the booster, to see if its going out the rear of the M/C internally. There will be a trail of fluid at the rear, under the attaching point.

i'm thinking pinhole leak. i just fixed one on my truck last summer with the Exact same issue you're having Dad.
i ended up doing all of the lines, back to front. mine is a '91 and not driven 100mi/yr for the past 2 yrs

daddue11

Missouri Chapter member
Sometimes, the master cylinder will take the fluid from one compartment, and put it into the other.

That is something that I never knew.
that's very interesting. thanks.

Also, look at where the M/C bolts to the booster, to see if its going out the rear of the M/C internally. There will be a trail of fluid at the rear, under the attaching point.
You know that might be it,there was a buildup of like grease or fluid with a bunch of dirt about a half inch thick under the back of the booster when I cleaned the engine bay. I know the booster and m\s are both really rusted.

Thank you for the tips gentlemen,I'll check after work tommorow and see where it leads me.

daddue11

Missouri Chapter member
i'm thinking pinhole leak. i just fixed one on my truck last summer with the Exact same issue you're having Dad.
i ended up doing all of the lines, back to front. mine is a '91 and not driven 100mi/yr for the past 2 yrs

I'm gonna pull my Vette outta the heated garage tommorow and pull the F150 in and check the lines,booster and cylinder out thoroughly,
I think I saw that the front cab mounts were eaten away also(rust).

The brake lines and that stuff I can handle but if it's eaten up at the mounts,then I'm just gonna pull the motor and tranny and put them in my chopped B2 instead of the 5.0.

I talked to a guy today about a 79 F250 with a 460 c.i.d. and the tow package for 1200.00, I've already seen the truck and it's in good condition.

I just hope that I can save this one,but after seeing it really good today,I'm not sure if it'll be safe.

I'll let you know what I find out in a couple of days.

thanks you all.

which ever I choose I'm still staying here,it's nice to talk to locals.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut

smilieIagree smiliewhathesaid You may want to unbolt the master from the booster and check inside the booster for fluid, sometimes they show no signs of leakage, had one on an escape like that.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts