Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

another cold air, Intake thread.. something i did! (improvement)

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
yesterday i just said i would take a short drive without those 2 snorkels going to the Air filters.. so just open trottle body

and DANG!!!!

i could do a peel out while running 5-7 mph so just cruising at 5-7 mph and floot it.. and it screamed the tires.. and i could feel some improvement to in high rpms pulls stronger and the loud intake sound was gone i think it made the sound becuase of the tubes..

now my question does these stock tubes has some kind of restricion?
i would like to make a custom dual 3" tubes something like eco's

YES YES YES i know it draws hot air from the engine compartment hot air less hp bla bla

current intake setup
IMGP1666-1.jpg

Last edited:
Michigan
Just do it next time with the hood off lol. Im thinkin bout running two cone filters and drilling holes and having them come out of my hood.... Just kidding. Sounds fun though to be able to peel out like that!

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
Move the washer fluid and overflow canisters to the rear of the cold air setup and use the snorkel for a 460/ 300 to the box ,cut it to fit, seal it up and you should get more air to it, still looks good in my opinion.

GrimReaper6696.........

.....would you by chance have a pic of your whole setup; like from the TB all the way up to the Dual Filter's??? . . . . Totally Cool setup for there . . . YelloThumbUp . . . IF this DOES make some improvement & performance, I'd like to try and give it a go for here.........Did doing this "mod" make any difference for your mpg ? ? ? better / worse ? ? ? . . . . .[ fer rite now, i am running with the 'stock-box' setup with the 'snorkle' entrance is located at above the radiator and all.....:headbang: ...[confused]... :rolleyes: ... 'smiliedoh' ... ]

mr. Charles

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
jep running open trottle body is fun :D.. everyone with no MAF should try it.. just for fun.. not long tough it can catch all kinds of crap just do it around the block to see the difference ..

here ja go this is the best pic i got of the full setup..
DSC00068.jpg

now my question does these stock tubes has some kind of restricion?
i would like to make a custom dual 3" tubes something like eco's

Whatever you have, it isn't working well if it robs that much power.

Mine is actually y'd into a single 3 because of the mass air conversion. You can do this too even if you have SD.

Just look for some silicone 45* and 90* bends, some straight silicone hose, some straight aluminum pipe and a y-pipe. The y-pipe you can probably get from IST, everything else is best to get off of ebay.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
Whatever you have, it isn't working well if it robs that much power.

Mine is actually y'd into a single 3 because of the mass air conversion. You can do this too even if you have SD.

Just look for some silicone 45* and 90* bends, some straight silicone hose, some straight aluminum pipe and a y-pipe. The y-pipe you can probably get from IST, everything else is best to get off of ebay.

yeah i was thinking about something like that and put a single K&N filter instead of 2 of these cheap ones.. wich i dunno how to clean [confused]

yeah i was thinking about something like that and put a single K&N filter instead of 2 of these cheap ones.. wich i dunno how to clean [confused]

It might be easier to get a complete stock set up and use a 300/460 air horn like skan has. Thats what I would do if I had a choice, but with a van and a MAS conversion I don't have that option. So, I am going with what was in the pic I put up and the final product will also have an insulated air box.

.....Mine is actually y'd into a single 3 because of the mass air conversion. .....

. . . . so, eco, Your saying this is a better & more efficient, performance, and hopefully mpg of a "mod" compared to the stock setup of the air_intake & filter? ? ? :confused: { or would you know personally the info being question, thx for reply'ng upon}

mr. Charles

. . . . so, eco, Your saying this is a better & more efficient, performance, and hopefully mpg of a "mod" compared to the stock setup of the air_intake & filter? ? ? :confused: { or would you know personally the info being question, thx for reply'ng upon}

mr. Charles

My 88 Econoline van came with SD. I got the motor built at a machine shop and he gave me a cam that was not SD compatable - I was not aware of this until I ran the motor. I was stuck with either having to do a carb conversion, a MAS conversion or a cam swap. I opted for the MAS conversion due to it's numerous other benefits + the ease of installation. Since this is a van and not a truck, I was stuck having to fab an intake system to make it work. The MAS housing has a single 3 inch OD outlet and the TB is dual 2 1/4 inch OD inlet. I had to "Y" it down some how to connect the two. This was the only reason for the mod. If I were to try and do this with the stock parts (hoses, air cleaner housing etc.) it would be some big, messy, clusterfu*k of a plumbing set up.

Last edited:
...eco . . .

.........ooooO-K for your idea & modding-project, BUT after all this, did it make any Positive of an improvement as far as performance / mpg and all ??? . .[confused] . . . . . half to commend you for thinking & doing this "mod" for to fit in your situation & all YelloThumbUp ....i could imagine it was NOT an easy task for you to conjer-up....(aka, to just pick-a-part & bolt rite up) .......just trying /reasearching about's WHAT would be a good "mod" to do for this existing "stock" air cleaner setup for here as for seeing better performance & mpg ......:suspicious:

...{ i kno...... i kno; my BIGGest problem is these dang Tires & all.....:redface: ...just give a "bit-O-slack", eh? ! ? ! ? ...... LOLOL }

mr. Charles

Last edited:

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Interesting thread. I'm thinking of using the K&N CAI kit with a stock style cone paper filter. This is what FordMuscle.com used for their MAS conversion on an 89 F150 5.0 (minus the stock style paper filter). But then again maybe I'll just use the stock style 460 intake for MAS if that's a good alternative. Ah, so many choices.

Interesting thread. I'm thinking of using the K&N CAI kit with a stock style cone paper filter. This is what FordMuscle.com used for their MAS conversion on an 89 F150 5.0 (minus the stock style paper filter). But then again maybe I'll just use the stock style 460 intake for MAS if that's a good alternative. Ah, so many choices.

. . . . . . and the outcome / result's for doing this conversion/change = ??? smilieeatndrink smiliepopcorn :news-n-coffee: beer emoticon

mr. Charles

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Wish I could try this Jurgen but it'll probably wreak havoc, seeing as I've got mass air...

If I were you, I'd just use a stock box and the 460 tube, unless you wanna rig up a custom cold air intake... I used the K&N open element and I'll never go back to anything that doesn't have a duct coming from outside, the difference was very impressive reverting to a stock airbox with a 460 tube. Just my .02

Wish I could try this Jurgen but it'll probably wreak havoc, seeing as I've got mass air...

If I were you, I'd just use a stock box and the 460 tube, unless you wanna rig up a custom cold air intake... I used the K&N open element and I'll never go back to anything that doesn't have a duct coming from outside, the difference was very impressive reverting to a stock airbox with a 460 tube. Just my .02

....... :post pics: 'postwhore' smilieneenar smilietease 'biteme' ...{LOLOL}..... HEY thar, Chris:wavey:

mr. Charles

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
MAF - Injectors firing individually, compensates for modifications, better throttle response. Increased MPG.
Speed Density - Batch fire injection (4 and 4 - less throttle response), Doesn't react as nicely to mods.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
....... :post pics: 'postwhore' smilieneenar smilietease 'biteme' ...{LOLOL}..... HEY thar, Chris:wavey:

mr. Charles

Oh cmon, you haven't seen the pics? When I bought my truck it had the K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kit, with an open element cloth filter:

334c39d8.jpg

Not much of a 'kit' if you ask me... They just removed the airbox and adapted the MAF sensor to accept that K&N filter... Anyways, it was pulling underhood air (hot) and I was told by a few guys that going back to a stock airbox with a 460 tube would help performance. They were right ;) Larry found a 460 setup and sent me the whole kit-n-kabootle in the mail (hell of a guy, ain't he?) K&N filter is now in my closet; if anyone wants it just pay shipping and packaging cost ;)

Here's my new setup:

DSC01056Custom.jpg

DSC01057Custom.jpg

DSC01058Custom.jpg

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
MAF - Injectors firing individually, compensates for modifications, better throttle response. Increased MPG.
Speed Density - Batch fire injection (4 and 4 - less throttle response), Doesn't react as nicely to mods.
Huh? Sorry brother I think you're confused... The MAF vs SD doesn't have to do with batch vs sequential injection.

SD uses a table in the computer to adjust the fuel/air ratio.

MAF uses the mass air sensor to sense how much air is coming into the engine, and adjust the ratio that way. This means that the MAF can adjust itself when you make engine mods, while the table in an SD computer won't change when you install mods ;)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts