Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

No Heat 98 Explorer

Hi All,
I need some help, I'm at the end of my patience with this Truck. I lost my heat about a year ago. We found Blend Door broken, replaced it and heat worked for a while then started working erratically. So we replaced thermostat, no luck, during this the water pump and radiator started leaking, replaced those no heat. we flushed out system and heater core, nothing, replaced valve, still no heat, last week took intake off and inspected for blockage, water jackets are clean. replaced heater core, inspected heater box and blend door... no luck.. I have taken it to a couple of local garages and they can't explain. everything works fine, except can't get any heat. It seems like the water isn't circulating fast enough through core?? the heater hoses going into heater core read 150~160 degrees... but actual core doesn't get hot enough. Has anybody had any similar issues?? I'm at a loss...
Thanks

blacksnapon

Staff member
Hi All,
I need some help, I'm at the end of my patience with this Truck. I lost my heat about a year ago. We found Blend Door broken, replaced it and heat worked for a while then started working erratically. So we replaced thermostat, no luck, during this the water pump and radiator started leaking, replaced those no heat. we flushed out system and heater core, nothing, replaced valve, still no heat, last week took intake off and inspected for blockage, water jackets are clean. replaced heater core, inspected heater box and blend door... no luck.. I have taken it to a couple of local garages and they can't explain. everything works fine, except can't get any heat. It seems like the water isn't circulating fast enough through core?? the heater hoses going into heater core read 150~160 degrees... but actual core doesn't get hot enough. Has anybody had any similar issues?? I'm at a loss...
Thanks

Low engine coolant level.
Engine overheating.
Plugged or partially plugged heater core.
Temperature blend door binding/stuck.
A/C electric blend door actuator.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
I had a 96, right behind the heater controls there is a vacuum line that rubbed through. Blew straight cold air and once in a while would go to hot then back to cold. I just pulled the heater controls out and taped up the line.

Might check that. Sounds just like mine.

Sent from my mudwhistle via Lemmiwinks.

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
seems like the heater is a common problem in the explorer. We had one a few years newer and it was the blend door. My brother has one and it has no heat issues too.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts