Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Buzzing noise coming from tranny

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Drove up to my moms place tonight and thought to myself that the truck was vibrating a bit more than it usually does on the freeway (my truck always vibrates... still havent figured out why). Anyways, it seemed a bit more severe but I thought maybe it was in my head. Pulled in the driveway and left it running in park so I could grab a rag and check the fluid level on the trans. Headed for the garage and stopped in my tracks....

"Whats that noise?"

Walked back to the truck and I could hear a faint buzzing/clicking noise. Ducked my head down and it got a little louder. Got on my back and point my ear at different parts of the undercarriage. I pinpointed the noise, coming from around/above my solenoid pack in the transmission. This is on the passenger side, right behind the heat shield on the trans, near the exhaust...

Any ideas? Could I have misplaced a check ball when I did my trans shift kit a couple weeks ago? Transmission seems to be acting normally, albeit it's hard to know what 'normal' is, since it shifts harder now because of the shift kit.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Just remembered something else. Before I got out of the truck, I threw it in neutral and juiced it to let my sister know I was here, then threw it in reverse to put my truck where it needed to be, and it slammed into reverse pretty good (I assume because of the shift kit), but it also made a real nasty CLANG noise, like someone smacked my tcase with a hammer (no to say that the sound was coming from the tcase). But it didn't sound hollow and tinny like a driveshaft, kinda solid....

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
Did you have any check balls left over? Fluid ok?
Let it cool down then check it again, see if it continues.

Mike

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
No 'bonus parts' after I was done with the shift kit, check balls included.

I continued to check the fluid after I heard the noise and I couldn't tell where the damned level was on the dipstick... Can someone who is absolutely 100% sure, tell me how to check the trans fluid on an e4od? I've been told so many different things... Seems like the only time I get consistent results is when its at operating temp/in neutral/engine running... Is that correct?

Cuz thats what I did and I couldn't see a clear level on the stick, although it did have some residual fluid on it. Wiped it off, put it back in, checked again, same thing --> residual fluid... Added a quart and it looked exactly the same on the dipstick. WTH!?

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
try checking it in park and see what you get. also just for kicks, check it when it is off. is it a reddish color? does it smell burnt?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Also, trans temp gauge never read about the usual 135-145 for the duration of the 1 hour trip up here... But I've got the sensor in the pressure test port on the trans (above the lip of the pan), so I can imagine that if I was low on fluid it might not be accurate...? Or am I wrong?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
try checking it in park and see what you get. also just for kicks, check it when it is off. is it a reddish color? does it smell burnt?
Checked it in park too (running) and it was pretty much the same thing, cept the dipstick was just more wet, all throughout. It looks almost as if someone splashed the whole dipstick lightly with fluid.... I mean it's wet ABOVE the full line, but its only damp... How the hell does that happen?!

I've also checked it when off before... A long time ago... I dont remember the results but I remember thinking "thats definitely not right"

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
What's wierd is my '93 used to do that occasionally, but never figured out the cause. Didn't seem to affect the way it ran or shifted, though, so I gave it no mind.

my book says that if you've driven 20 miles your tranny is considered "warm". an hrs driving(i don't know the miles) you won't get an accurate reading. it says let it rest for 30 mins. the book also says after the tranny is warm..while parked, run the shifter through the gears back to park and check then.
it can also be checked cold("if it hasn't been driven for 5 hrs") but the air temp has to be 70*-90*. good luck with that parameter for a month or so

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
My tranny buzzes too..I've never really thought anything of it because it does it so intermittently.....but now that you mention it I do hear a buzzing....hmmmm

JR

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
No 'bonus parts' after I was done with the shift kit, check balls included.

I continued to check the fluid after I heard the noise and I couldn't tell where the damned level was on the dipstick... Can someone who is absolutely 100% sure, tell me how to check the trans fluid on an e4od? I've been told so many different things... Seems like the only time I get consistent results is when its at operating temp/in neutral/engine running... Is that correct?

Cuz thats what I did and I couldn't see a clear level on the stick, although it did have some residual fluid on it. Wiped it off, put it back in, checked again, same thing --> residual fluid... Added a quart and it looked exactly the same on the dipstick. WTH!?

Trans up to temp, level ground, in park running, thats the best way to check it. As for the buzz, alot of trannys buzz it's just a matter of listening, don't think it means anything bad, could be the solinoids, could be the fluid.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I know you said was coming from tranny. But the shields on cats work loose and buzz. Would not do the clunk. But can be load . I know u checked it but I'm just throwing it out.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Thanks for the tips on checking fluid guys, maybe it was too hot when I checked it (the intake manifold damn near burned me). The buzzing is definitely coming from the trans right around the solenoid pack. Do any of the solenoids in this trans click open and shut in rapid succession? Because I can imagine how that would create the noise I'm hearing.

Ford Truck Articles