Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Five tools you must have for a clean ride!

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I have compiled a list of things that are a must have for the DIY detailer, novice or advanced. These items are great for stepping up your results to the next level and are more affordable than you'd think! After reading through this guide, check out some automotive detailing websites for pricing and more advice. (ChemicalGuys.com -or- AutoGeek.net are great places to start)

1. Vacuum. Your household vacuum isn't built for automotive use... you also don't like sleeping on the couch. Do yourself a favor and invest in a small wet/dry vac strictly for automotive cleaning sessions. There's no need to spring for the top dollar 10 gallon, a small 1.5 gallon unit is usually adequate (unless you own a boat; look into buying something close to a 5 gallon for optimal water extraction). A Shop-vac brand 1.5 gallon runs about $28.

2. Vacuum Micro Tools. Usually sold in a kit consisting of smaller tools for fine detail cleaning. These tools can be used for cleaning recessed areas of dash boards, dusting between controls and buttons, seat seams and more. Having a micro tool kit makes a world of difference to your final product. Kits can be had for around $15.

3. Chamois. Towels are used to dry your body, not your car. A synthetic drying chamois is an excellent time saver and paint-not-scratcher-er. Look to spend anywhere from $10-15 on a decent piece.

4. Strainer/Grit Guard. Using a regular household plastic strainer or grit guard is one of the easiest ways to prevent scratching your paint when washing. Place it convex side up in the bottom of your 5 gallon wash bucket and fill with soap & water. Your wash mitt sits on top of the strainer instead of sinking to the bottom of the bucket where dirt and debris often settle. I wouldn't spend a dollar over 10 for one.

5. Microfiber Towels. Terry towels are the devil. Cotton towels are commies. Don't even think of letting them anywhere near your paint! Microfiber towels come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and blends. Investing in a set of about 10 will save you from nightmares down the road. Spring for a good set, but look to spend anywhere from $20-40 for quality. Here's a hint, your auto parts store sells them... but you don't buy them there!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
This is great!

Sent from my not so smart phone using Forum Runner! :)

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I didn't know they had those vacuum accessories. ...will need to pick some up.

Sent from my not so smart phone using Forum Runner! :)

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Nice. ;)

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Thanks guys.

Thanks Austin for the list, one item I have is a "California Duster" they are great for a quick wipe down to remove the dust that settles on your vehicle.

I despise dusters. :D Any means of removing anything on my paint must include some sort of lubricant (water, surfactants, etc.) as to not scratch. But if your ride is a garage queen, I see no harm. :D

BIGRED911

Charter Member
Thanks guys.

I despise dusters. :D Any means of removing anything on my paint must include some sort of lubricant (water, surfactants, etc.) as to not scratch. But if your ride is a garage queen, I see no harm. :D

I use a cali duster on my w9 for dust only...anything else gets lucus oil slick mist and a yellow micro fiber towel unless it needs washed....also use a cali water blade to " towel" dry

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts