Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Bleed Fuel Pressure?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Just changing the fuel filter and have a quick question. What's the easiest way to bleed some pressure so I don't get shot in the face (again)?

I sprayed myself when I did the fuel pressure regulator right in the face.

1994 F-150 fuel system...

Ryan

disengage the inertia switch and start the truck till it runs out. there'll be residual but not the blinding blast

been there....i saved my pirate patch if you need it.

it's all in the beer.....

I think it is a little easier to just pull out the Fuel Pump relay and start the engine.
that requires opening the hood, finding the correct relay, and maybe throwing a code. the inertia switch is quick and painless. and easy to reverse. the relay can be tough to get back in correctly if you aren't a circus contortionist.

that requires opening the hood, finding the correct relay, and maybe throwing a code. the inertia switch is quick and painless. and easy to reverse. the relay can be tough to get back in correctly if you aren't a circus contortionist.
You are joking, right?
The inertia switch is behind the passenger kick panel and I just hate to remove them and put them back in.
For the Fuel Pump Relay you just pop the hood, lift the cover on the Fuse Box and pull the second relay out and it just pushes back in when you are done.
If removing the relay gives you a code then the inertia switch surely will, as that is the circuit the PCM is testing.

no...i'm not kidding. my inertia switch is right behind my brake pedal. next to my fusebox. 3 seconds and it's disengaged.
my pump relay is much more effort to get to , open hood, remove cover, locate relay, pull said relay, back in truck, start truck....the inertia has Never given me a code. pulling relays have.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Hmm...guess I have been doing it wrong all these years. I just pulled the coil wire. Cranked engine, replace fuel filter.
I would imagine that if you pull the coil wire then the fuel is not going to get burned... No?

ps. I'm with subford. Not sure on your setup Carl but the inertia switch is behind the passenger kick panel in my truck.

you got me Sub.....i didn't mean for you to go to that length. i was just relating MY experience.
good pics but i'm still concerned about the potential issues with the computer. relays aren't meant to be pulled. my shop manual says trip the inertia switch. it's a '91-'96 manual..
i'm thinking he got it so...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
you got me Sub.....i didn't mean for you to go to that length. i was just relating MY experience.
good pics but i'm still concerned about the potential issues with the computer. relays aren't meant to be pulled. my shop manual says trip the inertia switch. it's a '91-'96 manual..
i'm thinking he got it so...
There is no harm in pulling a relay, it will just break the circuit temporarily until you put it back in.

Ford Truck Articles