Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

puttering after going through puddle

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
For some reason after i go through water my truck wants to putter...if i go through alot of water it will through a check engine light.

LIke for instance the low water dip down here is full of water up to maybe mid wheel and i hit it at 5mph it putters for a big afterwards...But if i do it in my dads truck nothing happens.

the only thing i can guess is, my exhuast is so short, IE under the passenger seat and it ends in a glass pack..no exhuast tip. Im thinking that a bit of water is getting in there and my exhuast is blowing it out....

Any ideas?

that happened to me too before. i thought maybe some water splashed onto the wires to the spark plugs and caused a momentary short. Its just a guess though. it should smooth right out after a minute or two.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I used to get that if I powerwashed my engine. I had a spark plug wire that was split. Did you read the codes? I dont think if it gets into your exhaust that would throw a code or make it sputter. Id look into ignition or a sensor.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I had no problems with a glass pack on mine.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Garden hose, trying to crack all the fiberglass? Did it work lol?

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
well it shouldn't matter how hard i hit it. Cuz in my dads truck im going alot faster.

back when i first got the glass pack on. It was snowing out side and i sprayed water up in it while it was running. Then about 6 months later i setting a stop sign waiting to go. And it starts puttering like its running out of gas. So i gun it figuring it just flooded it self or something. And then Boom. Looked behind me on the road and the insides of the glass pack was all over the road.

Theres an inside and a outside pipe to a glass pack. The inside pipe has all these knurls on it...well the inside pipe flew out...

I cant read the codes for some reason the little port that you read the codes through inst receiving any power.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Yea it worked Chris...loud as all git out......
AG did you connect BOTH plugs?there's the big one that plugs directly into the reader plus a little gray plug......

JR

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
ive got the big reader port under the passenger side dash, Then two little plugs right above the transmission hump. Ive had the codes ran before and just plugging it into the big black port ran them just fine.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
ive got the big reader port under the passenger side dash, Then two little plugs right above the transmission hump. Ive had the codes ran before and just plugging it into the big black port ran them just fine.
What year is your truck?

I cant read the codes for some reason the little port that you read the codes through inst receiving any power.
This is the same circuit that powers your Cigar Lighter (circuit #40, Lt. Blue wire) and is powered by fuse #16 a 15 Amp fuse.

1996 F-150 OBD II Power Fuse.
1996_OBD_II_Fuse_Power.jpg

/

Last edited:

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
its a 96

ill go out and check the fuses here in a min.

But awhile back i had a cellphone car charger plugged into my aux power port. And it got bumped one to many times and got loose, and i dont think it works anymore.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
LOL theres no fuse in there...

I guess its from when i dropped a penny down in the cigarette lighter. So i removed the fuse while i was trying to get it out and never replaced it with a fuse.

When we bought the truck it didnt come with a cigarette lighter...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts