Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ball joints

So I’m at 89,000 and had to replace right side Ball Joints again, two times now. Also had to replace the left side wheel bearing, this was all covered by my warranty which will soon end.
The bill was over a 1000.00 most of it Labor. I’ll have to learn now to do it myself.
I know that the front end is heavy, can something be done.
Any thoughts?

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
well unfortunately fords are know for eating ball joints left and right. same thing with dodges. the one thing i can say is grease them regularly, like with every oil change. also when ever you get any front end part replaced make sure it has a zerk fitting(grease fitting) so you can grease it and prolong the life of the ball joint tie rod and so on.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
yeah thats a BIG recommendation. i usually use MOOG chassis parts on my truck. Spicer is also a good brand too. and any ford product for that matter. ive had nothing but good luck with any of those parts.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
My stock/OEM ball joints lasted for 100,000 miles!!!

They were worn, but no tire wear.

Local mechanic put in Moog brand with greasable zert fittings. he stated that such a heavy truck needs to be greased every 5,000 - 7,500 miles (each oil change) for maximum lubrication and performance.

It has to do with being such a large, heavy truck... and then add the diesel motor to it... that's a lot of weight on the front end!!!

Warranty ford parts don't have a zert fitting. So next time I'll be paying for the MOOG ball joints and replaceing them my self. will have to wait and see.
Thanks for the infor and input. John

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts