Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

If a motor/transmission sit for a few years

I had my 302 running for a short time, but it ran like crap because, unknown to me at the time, the cam was not SD compatable and plus I was given the wrong fuel injectors. Upon realizing that I had some serious issues going on with the engine management system I quit running the motor and began to address the problems. So, about 2-3 years have gone by and during this time I have made MANY changes and done MANY different modifications to the rig in preperation for getting it running again and driving it.

One thing I thought of is gas that has been sitting in it. To address this I removed the old tank and fuel pump and installed a new tank and a new low pressure fuel pump. That leaves the fuel that is in the lines which isn't much to begin with, plus it is not as exposed to air as the tank is, so I am not really worried about it. So, I think I addressed the "bad fuel" issue as best as one can.

What about the tranny (AOD) sitting there without being run, is that a problem? Anything special to do to it prior to getting started up again?

The only things that I can think of that I ought to do to the motor prior to starting up is to drain the oil that is in there now, fill it back up with new oil, spin the oil pump manually untill there is oil pressure, check the oil dip stick and add oil as needed, then spin the motor by hand a couple times. Am I missin anything?

I also plan on running the motor for a while with the trans in neutral for a good while to burn off any condensation in the motor. Which brings up another concern...what are the odds that any rust has built up in the motor? The motor has not been around much moisture, other than a couple days where it rained alot. The rig has been stored in doors the whole time. Also, I have kept every thing blocked off on the motor, so nothing was really "exposed" so to speak. But, the rust issue is still in my mind.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
You got most of it down, ck the plugs, and prob the coolant as has to be drained out. I wouldnt worry about the rust in the cylinders. I have bought a few cars that have been sitting for years upon years outside and everything. Some are still drivin to this day. Id prob change the trans fluid also. Oils get acidic after sitting for long peroids of time. I bought an 88 Ranger that was sitting for 6 years and I used the gas that was in the tank to get it home. So I wouldnt worry about the gas in the lines. Gettin ready to have the van running soon?

Fellro

Staff member
Yep, I've run more that a few that sat for long times with no real issues. Get it fired up, then get the rest changed. Just fired up a truck that sat for over 10 years, ran the gas in the tank out, and no issues there.

I have been told more than once that gas can "turn" and cause many problems with injectors, valves etc.

By turn I think they mean turn to some kind of gel like substance.

Fellro

Staff member
It turns into a varnish, but if it is contained, it seems to hold out better. It will gunk things up, so it will be a good idea to run a cleaner through the fuel system.

Fellro

Staff member
Lucas, Seafoam, whatever you want to use.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I have had good luck with Redline fuel cleaner. There is a chart on the side of the bottle so like 10oz to so many gal, or whole bottle for fast clean up. I had some funcky sound from an injector/injectors in my 5.0 Stang, and I tried alot of ones with nothing. Redline did it. No more sound.

I have had good luck with Redline fuel cleaner. There is a chart on the side of the bottle so like 10oz to so many gal, or whole bottle for fast clean up. I had some funcky sound from an injector/injectors in my 5.0 Stang, and I tried alot of ones with nothing. Redline did it. No more sound.

What brand of gasoline did you mix it with?

I wonder if mixing redline with Chevron would be OK...as in mixing the redline with the techron that they use. How would one cleaner mixed with another work, and would the added cleaner need to be more diluted?

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I donno. All of the 93+ gas has cleaners built in already. I worked at a Sunoco al through high school and tech school. NJ is full service. So I usually got my gas there.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts