Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

100 mph gauge.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
i know the lariat edition trucks (or special edition) 92-96 f150s came with a 100 mph guage...

Heres the question cane i cut out the speedo part of the guage and leave the miles at the bottom...using some sort of adapter and mount a small speedo in...could it be done? is it worth it?

im thinking about swapping out to different guages comepletly. the only thing i want to stay is my mileage and the gear selector...except backlit differently.

im not sure yet...what i want to get...But what do yall think? is it too much work...would it be worth it etc.

Old_Paint

Old guy with old cars
Alabama
The Odometer and Speedometer are both controlled by the PSOM. Dunno what you're going to find that you can tie back into the PSOM without some electronic and fabricating creativity. If I'm reading what I think you want to do right, you're wanting to 're-instrument' the truck, but keep the current odo reading, right? Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to find an aftermarket speedo that works on these trucks, but I may be wrong. I've never seen one. There's a possibility of putting one in for a hot-rod or something that's driven by a magnet ring on the driveshaft, but that's going to be fun to calibrate for your gearing and tires. I know EVERYTHING from '92 up has the VSS/RABS sensor in the diff, and uses a tone ring on the ring gear. That way, all you have to compensate for is rolling radius of the tires. Driveshaft or tranny mounted sensors will require gear-in for anything between the sensing point and the ground. But, that said, you could set the odo on the aftermarket (if you can find one) for your current mileage.

HOWEVER, on a T-Bird site, or maybe "the other" site, someone fitted the cluster for a late model Windstar or Freestar minivan into the dash, and got a really cool looking starwars type cluster working. There were other issues with wiring connections and sensors, but they made it work, and WOW, it looked great.

That sound something like what you want to do?

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
That was Frederic that installed a Windstar dash into his F-350 or it could of been from something else , it was all digital , looked cool.

Mike

Old_Paint

Old guy with old cars
Alabama
Yeah, that's the one.

And YES, it looked sharper than a $2 tack. Very techy looking instruments on a "good ol' boy" truck.

Someone needs to "use the Force" and get Frederic over here. Or is he already?

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I bought a digital gauge panel from nordskog for mine. It replaces all the guages, but it takes a good bit of wiring.

0802170006.jpg

0802170007.jpg

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
WHOA. now thats really cool! where did you get the gauges? is nordskog a person from the other site or a place to get it? and do they make it for 87-91 f-series? soo many questions so little forum space!

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
so did you have to make a custom mounting bracket for it in the dash? and what did you do for the speedo? mines run by a cable from the gear right behind the tranny to the speedo. does the kit give you a sensor that will fit in there and work?

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
The kit gives you a sensor that screws onto the cable. After I took out my stock gage panel, I had to file the surround flat a little. Then I was able to screw the new panel to it. I filled in the gaps around it with grey silicone, because my opening was a little bigger than the panel.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
gotcha do you by any chance have any pictures of the making of it? im really considering this in the summer when it gets warmer

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I have had 19 Ftrucks I drove and about as many parts truck and never saw more than 85MPH in anything but a lightning.I sell clusters all time If there is such a thing I'd like one.

Old_Paint

Old guy with old cars
Alabama
My only objection to the Nordskog panel is that it doesn't have an odometer (that I can see, anyway). Did you have to leave the PSOM in place, or what? How ya gonna know when it's time to change oil, or calculate fuel mileage (albeit the mileage thing may not be important to some). Otherwise, I LIKE it, and see some potential for my old Fox Body bird. Any idea how hard it is to find digital clusters for an '86 Bird?

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
It does have an odometer. Right below the speedometer. It's smaller. The PSOM is in place, kinda saying wtf. The truck is carb'd too. Psom must really be confused lol.

Old_Paint

Old guy with old cars
Alabama
Hmm, ok, then. Does it come with a way to preset the odo? Right now, because of a cluster replacment, the odo in my 'bird is reading about 96K more than it actually has on it. It's getting close to that magic 200K rollover on this cluster too. I've heard some pretty bizarre things about the rollover on the digi-clusters in the Fox birds, like they roll back to 100K or something like that. The bird's speed sensor is in the tranny tail, but it is electronic. I dunno if it's got the same output as a VSS on a tone ring in the pumpkin, though.

The only signal that I know of that goes TO a PSOM is the VSS. The E4OD and cruise control is controlled by the PCM, which should get it's signal straight from the VSS too. I'm still scratching my head why a PSOM affects shifting, though, unless when it goes bad, it pulls down the VSS signal with it.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
There is no way that I know of to preset the mileage. It will work of off the stock sensor. I used a sensor off a 92 Crown Vic that fit into the speedometer drive on my transfer case.

Old_Paint

Old guy with old cars
Alabama
Ok, then time to get out the function generator and let it think the car is doing 500 mph for a couple days. That'll put the miles on it.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
You got that right. It's pretty neat. It works with any pulse generator.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts