Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Flatheads

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
If I can be of help re:flatheads just ask. I run a 48 F1 as a daily driver that currently has a 51 merc flat V8. Been keeping it going for over 6 years now. You get to know them pretty well inside and out in that amount of time.

Good to know. There are only a few of you around here that are running flat heads right now. I think I am the only Y-block. More flatties than Y-blocks.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
I've often wondered - do you get burnt on that exhaust crossover pipe up there on top and up front? Makes you wonder about engineers???!! Glad you've got those taken care of.

I don't have a Y block, but I've got almost everything else in the shop right now. Flatheads, 360's, 302/5.0s, 429, 400, 351M, and 223, 300 I6's, etc.

Flatheads are my favorite though. Air, fire and fuel are all it takes to make one run. That's about all I can handle some days. My dad used to call me "the last of the flatheads" when I was little (b Oct '53) - it must have been prophetic.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Good to know that we have a flathead expert on hand. I am sure that I will have a lot of questions soon.

I have a 51 F1 with the flathead. It cranks and runs good but it needs both water pumps. Would you reccomend replaceing them or rebuilding them?

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
I'm not an expert by a long shot - just some experience and have made most of the mistakes a guy can make....

I've got a couple of waterpump rebuild kits on the shelf. The pulleys have a tendency to break easily so I haven't messed with them. I just go to NAPA or send to Sacramento Vintage Ford and buy new ones.

My favorite resources online for these old trucks is:
Sacramento Vintage Ford - CA
Red's Headers - CA
Patrick's Antique Auto Parts - AZ
Mac's Antique Auto Parts - NY
Joblot Automotive - NY
Mack Products - MO
Hot Rod's Truck Parts - OH
Bob Drake - OR
LMC Truck Parts - KS

I have a 51 F1 with the flathead. It cranks and runs good but it needs both water pumps. Would you reccomend replaceing them or rebuilding them?

Bloodhound, (we have one - Rambunctious Tankersly, purebred, good lines. Mama's boy!!),

I rebuilt my pumps, piece of cake, once you figure out how to get them apart, without breaking the pulley.

It's pretty easy, if you sneak up under the pulley, and can get the retaining ring out. The kits come with the circlips, with the holes, but the originals had "ears" or "tangs" on them, and you can get them off with needle nose pliers. Then you can press it out from the impeller side, without any damage to the pulley. Then you can support the pulley better. If this doesn't make sense, I think I have a link to a site with a few photos. It's certainly a LOT cheaper than buying new ones, plus, I kinda like to do stuff on my own. So far I have rebuilt the tranny, brakes, master cylinder, pumps, e-brake (drum type), front end with all new parts, spring bushings and pins front and rear, and a few other goodies. Will basically be a brand new truck, when I'm done. Currently waiting on "Carb Renew" from Eastwood, so I can finish rebuilding the carb. You can see my progress in the link in my signature.

Let me know, and I'll look for the link...

R

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Thanks for the tips on the pumps. I've got 3 or 4 sitting on the shelf that need rebuilt and have a couple of rebuild kits too. Just haven't taken time to sort thru the process myself.

Once you start driving one of these it's easier to just buy another new pump from Sac Vintage or NAPA and keep going. It's about time to dive back into some of this stuff.

Oh yeah, one more thing - make sure you put the clips with the tangs back on, not the ones supplied with the kits, or you'll never get them apart again, without possibly (probably) breaking the pulleys.

R

Just registered

Hi
Got my new differential on today and regsitered on this site. I had the original 4:27 and switched for a 3:54. What are you running on the Merc ??

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Welcome! Good to have another bonusbuilt guy around.

If you're talking about my truck, it has a Merc engine but the truck is 48 Ford half-ton. I swapped in a 9" rear from a 65 F100 with 3.50 gears.

You made a good choice there if you hope to run it in today's traffic.

Ford Truck Articles