Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

302 Forced induction

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Just tossing around the idea of turbocharging or supercharging the 302 in my F150...

Im not a huge fan of turbos on gassers because of turbo lag (its fine on diesels because with the low RPM torque by the time the power starts to flatline the turbo is spooled) theres about a million and a half turbo kits for the pushrod 302 out there for mustangs, and with all the extra room in my engine bay just about all will fit, so tell me about what youve used or seen used.

That being said i much prefer the smoother torque curve of a supercharger and am open to sujestions. Anyone got brand sujestions/opinions/prices/etc?

Feel free to discuss turbo vs super on a full sized gasser truck

NOTE: im just gathering info right now, id still much rather build a stroker 351 for my truck but figured id research all options...and if i decide to go the non N/A route i'l worry about the logistics of forced induction on a 131xxx mile engine (the blow by rate will not be pretty lol)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
This question was asked several times on the 'other forum' and the guys always said that you'll need to beef up the internals prior to the upgrade, or you'll have major issues for obvious reasons.

That being said... If it were me, blower. Seems to me that the turbos are more effective on diesel engines because of their high volume of exhaust... Plus I like the sound of a supercharger winding up :D

yeah the beef up and rebuild would a definite-unless you like interior motor parts laying on the ground

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Yes at the very least i would need forged internals to keep my engine from puking its rotating assembly and turning my 8 cylinder from into two 4 cylinders...

I was researching the price of blowers and its starting to look like i could pay for the stroker kit for a 351 with just the cost of the blower for the 302...not even to mention the new rotating assembly, ECU tune, and the fuel system upgrades (pumps/lines/injectors)
Im actually waiting back from Coast High Performance for more info on their 427 stroker kit for a 351 :D

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Uhhh it's kinda a dare...but it also gives me an excuse to gimme more power and go up n bs with ya'll yankees n hippies...I'd like to see your truck blown Chris...no that is not a metaphore.....

JR

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Well if its a dare...now I HAVE to do it...

I dont like my 302 howabout a blown 427? get the best of both worlds :D

might as well run my fuel lines straight to my wallet!

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
believe me they are out there! trying to find the site where they have them up

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Kenny Bells are usually Root style, and cost alot more. You need new manifold and such. I like the roots style my self, as they sound so good. Im prob going to be gettin one for my Stang soon enough. If you have a small turbo they spool up faster then the bigger turbos. Some kits have done away with lag. Lag is more for stock turbo engines such as VW 1.8T. There so bad. Turbors dont rob power, supers have instant power when you mash the gas, supers still make power even if they rob. There is so much about both out there. Just get a good base to super or turbro 1st. So ur 302 gets built, or ur stroker 351. Then see how ya like it. I know I can super my 5.0 stang with 120K on the clock and still run it with like 5psi. I know that aint alot but if anyone knows me, I go big or dont go at all. So id prob do the 10psi kit and blow my engine doing my 1st burn out. Ok thats enough for now lol.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Haha yes, not seriously considering a blown 427.
If i put a 427 stroker in id stuff my axles with Moser hardware anyways.

With a blower if have to absolutly BABY it until i can get a Sterling 10.25/ Dana 60 axle setup in...something im not ready to do until i find a Dana 60 front for less then 1500 bucks (prices are outrageous now)

In the meantime im searching for a 351 EFI in running condition to start tearing apart and prepping for a stroker rebuild. Because of school and work all my projects are long term projects this time of year so id be lucky to have in torn down, acid dipped, and be ready for the rebuild by the start of summer...

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
O yea, roots style superchargers are the ONLY way to go IMO..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts