Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

66 VIN Questions

Hello,

I inherited a rusty old beauty of a 1966 Ford F-250 Custom Cab and I've been having a heck of a time decoding the VIN. I just spent an hour researching and all the pages I came across with info on the 66 didn't quite match up with what I have on my truck. I ended up decoding everything over at fordification using the 1967 model as my reference point. My question to you all is, are there any major differences between 66 and 67 models? Everything, as far as my understanding goes, appears to be accurate, but I would hate to start ordering parts for the wrong model.

Anyway, here's my sticker information and below that is what I ended up with from the 1967 decoder I used. Thank you so much for your help!

F25YR830836 (yes, after the F25YR it is in fact an 8 and not a B)
129 BM F250 C81 G 24
07500 172 4000 71

--

F250 two wheel drive (rear)
8-cyl, 352 cid, 208 HP, 8.9:1 Comp Ratio, 2-bbl Carb

Color: BM
B - Frost Turquoise (Lt. Aqua)
M - Wimbledon White

Interior Trim Code
C - Custom Cab bench seat - Medium green petticrush vinyl and medium green leeds pattern woven plastic

Body Style
81 - Conventional Cab

Transmission
G - Cruise-O-Matic (Automatic)

Axle (Rear)
24 - 4.10 - Dana 60 (5,200-lb)

Domestic Special Order (DSO)
71 - Los Angeles

Manufactured in San Jose, CA

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I don't have Vol 1 of the 1966 manual on hand, however, I have it coming....I will happily post up when I receive it.

I don't have Vol 1 of the 1966 manual on hand, however, I have it coming....I will happily post up when I receive it.

That would be great. Which manual did you order and have you ordered from them before? I'd like to get a well-recommended manual.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That would be great. Which manual did you order and have you ordered from them before? I'd like to get a well-recommended manual.

I got the actual Ford manuals from eBay...you can find them from $40 to $150 for complete sets.
I would only recommend a genuine Ford manual...the other ones, in my opinion, are best used for things like firestarting or fly swatting :D

Manual Confusion

Wow, I definitely need a second opinion on this because it conflicts with the engine type that I thought I had. Please forgive my lack of knowledge in this area. I am a computer systems administrator and technician and this is my first vehicle project outside of electrical. Ever.

I just found a sample of the 1966 Ford Trucks shop manual and it's freely accessible here:
http://www.fordmanuals.com/estore/demo/Demo20066.pdf

My warranty number is breaking down to the following, based on this PDF.

F25YR830836

F25 - Model Code Prefix - F250
Y - Engine Code - 464 Cummins (C-180) (Diesel?!)
R - Assembly Plant Code - San Jose

Interior Trim Code - C - Green Woven Plastic and Green Vinyl w/Foam Cushion
Body Code - 81 - Conventional Cab
Transmission Code - G - Automatic (C-4)
Rear Axle Code - 24 - Dana #60 4.10-5.2M (Pounds Capacity in Thousands)

Pictures

My friend says it's not a Cummins engine. From just glancing at it, it appears to be a V8, so I'm really wondering why the 67 manual appears to be more accurate than the 66 (which it is legally registered as). For the sake of figuring it all out, below are some pictures of my rusted beauty.

front.jpg

back.jpg

front-open.jpg

engine-left.jpg

engine-right.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts