Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Stroking a 7.5, what else needs to be done outside the kit?

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
Stroking my 460 to a 521 has been something I have been thinking about for the future. What else would need to be done other than buying the kit and paying the machinist?
If I do this, I am looking at purchasing the kit from Coast High Performance. Is that a good manufacturer? I know I saw Cars By Carl kits were also recommended on here, are there any other places to consider?

All information is appreciated, many thanks and Happy New Year! smilieFordlogo

Last edited:
I'd talk to Randy Malik of RM Competition, Barry R. of Survival Motorsport's, or Tim Meyer, the "M motor man" among others.. I'd stay away from those bigger "mail order" speed shops. These guys will tailor something to suit your needs, and will assist you with the rest of your build. It's not about clicking the order button, it's about customer service.

Last edited:
Mike... make sure you figure out before you start what type of engine you want your stroker to be.
Lots of important choices to be made that will effect the overall performance, reliability, life of the engine and cost.
The main thing for me was that in the end that I have an engine that I can enjoy for many years and miles. So far so good 13 years and 75,000 miles of work and play.
Your call though, I hope it will be a smooth build and it will be everything that you dreamed it would be.:)

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
Great stuff here guys, thanks for the advice and info so far. If I decide to go through with the plan, it will definitely be once I am more secure financially. I've been putting money aside though.

Ideally I want something that's going to give me more power and perform well. In addition, I would like it to last as long as possible. I will get in touch with one of those guys and see what they have to say as well.

Thanks again and Happy New Year!

One thing you'll want to make sure is addressed in your engine is using a piston with an oil ring land that doesn't intersect the piston pin boss. A cheaper piston that does will consume more oil, and that isn't very desirable. A higher end piston like Diamond or CP doesn't intersect, and would be a good idea. Icon pistons are a little cheaper, they might have some as well.

Last edited:
SC
Absolutely forget about an EFI 521 unless you have deep, deep pockets. The stock computer CANNOT be reflashed to support more than 400hp....PERIOD.

FAST, Megasquirt and other systems are $2500+ and require a fair amount of owner input to calibrate correctly and highly not recommended for your average back yard mechanic without access to a dyno and associated real time info.

Carb'd 521s are fairly easy.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts