Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Header Question...96 F350 w/ 351

I did a search and I can not find a whole lot on what I am looking for.

Can some one tell what the difference between a 302 header and a 351?
I am new to Ford motors and the performance side of things. I have done SBC for two reasons, Cheap and Easy to build.
But from what I can tell right now. Nothing is really interchangeable between the two.

But what I want to know is will 302 headers fit on a 351? I can get some 302 Mustang headers for $75 right now form a buddy but looking at the truck ones I can drop the 200 for a set of them right now. Reason I want to know is my Manifolds are cracked and leaking like crazy and all the local yards have one in just as bad of shape as mine.
Edit/Delete Message

Fellro

Staff member
I can say that out of the truck, the headers will bolt. In the frame, likely another story. Major difference for this aspect is that the deck height of the 351W is over 1" higher, which puts the heads that much closer to the frame. If they bent the pipes with the frame clearance in use, then the 302 headers would hit the frame.

Well I ordered a set from summit today for a 95 f350 as 96 had one set listed and it was 300 bucks. yet the part number was the same for the 95 and 96. Did some looking as to were the AIR tube went and it came out the same place on the Summit ones as it did the 300 dollar set. So i dont see why they will not have a fitment issue.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Did you go with long tube or shorty headers? Almost all (if not all) of the shorty headers bolt right into your current exhaust as well, so you don't need anything custom at all. Good luck on your swap.

Ryan

Thanks for info guys.

I ended up ordering the Summit brand Shorty headers. Turns out that "Summits" hears are in reality PaceSetter brand. I have not put them on yet b/c I am trying to no break off the manifold bolts in the heads. I have been spraying them in PB Blaster for a few days now, Have not fired it up yet but will be doing that soon.
I am just hoping it works.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Thanks for info guys.

I ended up ordering the Summit brand Shorty headers. Turns out that "Summits" hears are in reality PaceSetter brand. I have not put them on yet b/c I am trying to no break off the manifold bolts in the heads. I have been spraying them in PB Blaster for a few days now, Have not fired it up yet but will be doing that soon.
I am just hoping it works.

Hi, check out my gallery for photos of the manifold swap and headers I put on.I just ran the truck for 5 minutes or so to heat up the manifolds, had no problems removing the bolts. I waited way to long for the swap because I was nervous about breaking off a bolt too!!

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Another tip for beaking loose manifold bolts....use a 1/2" breaker bar and a short 6 point socket,no extensions,you want to stay as close to the head of the bolt as possible.wear gloves,place one hand on the head of the extension to keep the socket on the bolt wile pulling the handle of the breaker bar to break them loose.of course using an impact is the best way...but often cant be accessed in the vehicle.You should have no trouble these bolts are a pretty hard grade,from the predicessors that would snap off (FE engines were prone to breakage) Speaking for myself i have never snapped off a small block Ford exhaust manifold bolt using the technique above.

I got all but three to come right out with just using some
PB blaster. Now I am going to get the blue flame wrench out to warm them up a bit and see how that works on getting the last few out.

Also What is up with that Pipe that run in between the two manifolds. I can not find what the right name for it is and if there is anything else hooked up to it that will cause any codes or other issue if disconnected.

I have a tube that is threaded in to the back on my manifolds. About the size of a quarter ans it runs behind the motor. Thought it was the A.I.R. pipe but it looks nothing the ones I am finding online.

primetime

sawmill slave
I have a tube that is threaded in to the back on my manifolds. About the size of a quarter ans it runs behind the motor. Thought it was the A.I.R. pipe but it looks nothing the ones I am finding online.

It is for the A.I.R. Some had it in the manifolds and others had it in the heads.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts