Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

suggestions on new rear springs...

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
I have asked this question somewhere else so i'll give it a shot here.
2 years ago when I bought my truck , the rear springs were sagging a bit , didn't look like a 4X at all , I put a set of long rear add- a- leafs , brought it up to where it looked good.
Now they are a little bouncy and sag a tiny bit under weight , I think the add-a leaf are starting to wear ( 60,000 miles on them already), was looking at spring packs for a F-250 or even a F-350, had a friend recommend I get air bags, what should I do?

Mike

bobf100

you might want to look at having the rear springs re-arched. Any good spring shop can do it and will bring it back to stock spec's for a fraction of the cost to replace them. I've got a 57 bowtie project truck that I'm rebuilding and had St. Louis Spring Company re-arch them for $50 a spring. They did it in a day and they look good. Most of the after market parts suppliers for classic trucks want $250 per spring for a replacement.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I would install a new set of springs and also check the condition of the shackels and mounts they like to rot off.

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
thanks for the quick reply's , I have found a couple sets that cost about 195 new ,plus shipping. Gonna look into it real soon , before the summer.

Mike

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I do the extra spring thing and a factory style top mount overload But your truck is heavy enough to not ride bad. . The F250 set may raise up back some about right. The F350 on a F150 you can take block out and it will sit about level . But he didn't have the heavy coils like you up up front .

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
I was hoping you would chime in on this Larry, thats what I am trying to figure out , as of right the truck sits level with the heavy coils up front , I don't want to much rake in the back , but at the same time I need some more strength back there. Is it 250 or 350?, I wouldn't mind taking the block out if I have to. thanks for the reply.

Mike

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Hey the F350 will work . The truck we put On really needed coils but I guy would not listen. Hey measure a F350/250 from top Spring to bottom frame sould give idea. As to how would sit.

Hey get pair of each ( I know $$$ but make sure they take back) and when apart trail run both . The F350 will not sag much at all. so you could hold them up and see. Im a red neck go figure . U know red neck engineering :)

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Do you remember what lift was on those coil springs under load? I ussually just use oem FORD F350 SC coils but am shopping around this time.

So did they have problems with alignment ? I never did at the old shop I used. But I have to find another as they went out of business.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
If it was me I'd just go for the biggest capacity (f350) because you want them for the greater load rating. Now if only you could get an exact idea on if it'll raise or be even without the blocks.. there's the million dollar question. :D

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
I'm gonna go ahead and place my bet on having to remove the blocks. :p

You heard it here first, ppl! :D

Edit; from what I gather just browsing.. It seems like most people take out the blocks even when just switch to f250 springs, so who knows?

Last edited:

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I read on a Internet parts house last night F150 is like 4 1/2 arch F250 is 6 1/2 arch and F350 is 7 1/2 . This is uninstalled arch . But for life of me I cant find the sight tonight . Think it was rock auto .

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts