Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

new muffler

my step kid stopped in yesterday with a brand new original style muffler for my truck and helped me put it on.
i'm loving it. i'm not at all missing the Flowmaster(i'm not trashing them in any way). i bought the truck a week after the Flowmaster was installed. i had no reference to the stock sound. i've come to appreciate quiet.
he got it for $34 at NAPA no less.

What engine do you have? I myself like the dual exhaust sound, i HATE quiet. When im pissed off i go drive and put the windows down, radio off and just listen to the sound of the engine.. just my personal preference though

the 4.9. it seems to run a tad better too. i don't know if the drop from 3" back to the factory 2.25" is a back pressure thing or what.
now i have to get inspected. ran out in Dec...guess i should check more often

Slight difference in back pressure. Dont know if its enough difference to change performance.

my step kid stopped in yesterday with a brand new original style muffler for my truck and helped me put it on.
i'm loving it. i'm not at all missing the Flowmaster(i'm not trashing them in any way). i bought the truck a week after the Flowmaster was installed. i had no reference to the stock sound. i've come to appreciate quiet.
he got it for $34 at NAPA no less.

Quiet is really the way to go with the 4.9L YelloThumbUp. I had a single 18" Glasspack on my 4.9L and it sounded too much like a swarm of bees in a tin can around 2300 RPM. :rofl:

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I do like a little sound but the glass pack type noise I outgrew. I drive Hr plus one way and it gets on nerves to be to long. Loved it in town though. :)

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I always liked stock mufflers on the sixes. They don't sound right any other way in my opinion. Glad you finally got it how you like it.

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
Used regular muffler and a glasspack in my old 78 , the truck was already so loud that a the glass pack just didn't sound great, went back to the plain jane muffler.

Mike

yep i'm sold....just went out to see if i still liked it.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah that would make sense for your truck to run a little better on 2.25. A 3" pipe is way too big for that engine. Have to maintain some back pressure or the bottom end power that the I6 is famous for will drop right out of the truck.

Glad you got a setup you're happy with Carl :) Me? Mine is straight piped after the cats and it SCREAMS! :D

mustanginca

California Chapter member
I have a single chamber flowmaster running out these 5" tips. I love the sound. Can't beat the windows down hearing the echo under the bed. Or idling at a light. I love em'. It's a 7.5l f250 93.

I like quiet as well. With my lousy hearing (deaf--with cochlear implant), I need a vehicle to be as quiet as possible inside. That way I can sort of understand other people speaking.

I have heard some flatheads and Y-blocks uncorked and they sound awesome (from outside), but I wouldn't want to drive them all the time.

Keeping pipes small is not about back pressure, it's about the scavanging effect. Ideally, pipes should be as small as possible without inducing back pressure at the RPM that the motor makes peak power. This way scavanging is at it's best and back pressure is not an issue unless you rev the motor beyond then RPM that the exhaust is tuned for, which you wont have any reason to do anyways. You go bigger or smaller than that, you arn't doing yourself any favors.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts