Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Removal of window tint film

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Hi gang, Any good ideas for the removal of well aged smoked window tint that has turned transparent? I do have the razor blade tool.I want to do the removal myself to save on cost when i have them redone.Then my newly recieved FTF decals than Mr Slman made will really stand out when applied! OUTSTANDING JOB !! Scott

Last edited:
Whenever i've had to remove tint's i just used a heat gun and a razor blade - you're better off using a single edge razor blade between thumb and forefinger as you get better control and won't slice into the window rubbers ..... found out that the hard way.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Plus one on heat. If you have a steam cleaner, use that to heat up the tint and adhesive.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Whenever i've had to remove tint's i just used a heat gun and a razor blade - you're better off using a single edge razor blade between thumb and forefinger as you get better control and won't slice into the window rubbers ..... found out that the hard way.

Ditto on the control issue....I tried using a blade on a tool and literally, ended up gouging the freakin window glass! :headbang:

Better to take the couple extra minutes and be careful about it.

Also, I have a client who does vinyl for vehicles and says spraying windex on it will help when removing residue towards the end when most of the tint is already off after using a heat gun....they also said a plain old hairdryer will work (just take a little longer) if you don't have access to or want to spring for a heat gun. smilieFordlogo

BuzzGun79

OK Fellas thanks for the info!!! I am off to get started.i will let you know how this goes,going to try the hair dryer first since i dont have a heat gun..but im in luck their on sale at harbor freight for 9.99 with the coupon!

Fellro

Staff member
I have some that is on a rear window with rear defog that I can't use a razor on... Wall paper remover has done ok...

BuzzGun79

Hi gang....Thanks for all the good tips for sure! This is going to be a time consuming task.From what some of the proffesionals have advised its going to remove like old wall paper...Picked up a heat gun,extra blades..goo gone,Ammonia based window cleaner.Got some weekend cruises to hit so i probably wont start till after the weekend...Unless we get the fallout of Isaac weekend forcast is changing pretty quickly went from 0 to 30% chance of storms.Kim and i hope your all safe and pray for those who have been affected. I will take some pics and post them as i go.Thanks again!

FTF_TRUCK_LOGO.jpg

This is what this project is all about!!! The site!! and good looking glass as well.

Last edited:

BuzzGun79

DSC00816.JPG

Top pic shows badly faded tint fim,notice the ghost image in the film

DSC00818.JPG

working from left to right i started to peel the film with my blade tool,keeping the tool at an angle so the blade glides across the glass not into it.once i had enough to grab hold of,i began to slowly and steadily peel the film off the glass

DSC008191.JPG

Film is removed,but residue remains

DSC00820.JPG

Spraying the residue with WD-40..this stuff works great!!

DSC00821.JPG

cleaning off the soaked residue with my blade tool.again keeping the blade angled to glide across the glass.then clean with window cleaner several times to remove all residue.

DSC00822.JPG

WALA!! No more faded tint! all in all it went pretty well,had about 30 minutes of time invested on the rear glass....:)

Last edited:

BuzzGun79

Thank You Scott! just finished the door windows & wing window glass...next week i will apply those decals!

BuzzGun79

Thanks Smokey..all in all really it was not that bad of a job. sure i had a couple hrs of work.the worst was getting all the residue off the glass.after scraping the residue,I had to clean the windows several times with ammonia based cleaner,but i used news papers instead of paper towels or a cloth.news papers work great on glass imo it removes the embeded particles off the glass.after that i used my Eagle one wipe n shine detailer with a cotton cloth and buffed the glass to a shine.

Last edited:

BuzzGun79

DSC00829.JPG

DSC00828.JPG

DSC00827.JPG

To close out this thread,here are the pics of my freshly applied FTF Decals!!! Well Done Scott!!!! I Love how they look on the truck!!!!

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts