Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

07 Edge concerns

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I drove Bailee's Edge for some distance last weekend and it presented a couple concerns for me.

1) Since she had the thing, I always thought it had a 'weak' transmission. It shifts fine and all, but what I mean is, if you are on an incline and let off the brakes, it can't hold itself and will roll backward. I know this is inherent with autos, and when she first got it, it could hold itself on mild to moderate inclines. Now, if that things isn't on flat ground, it'll roll backward in drive...even at a small incline at a drive-thru...if I don't give it gas, it's rolling the wrong way. Is this normal for this vehicle, or is there a problem that needs to be fixed???

2) She has a helluva rattle off idle. I thought maybe there was some loose heat shield or exhaust rattle or something...but I can't find anything. Once you get going, it goes away. Cat breaking apart???

3) There seems to be a 'howl' coming from the rear end. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason...sometimes it's there, other times it isn't. I can't find a consistent rpm or speed that it likes to show up in. Bearing problem???

Insight, thoughts, known problems???

Fellro

Staff member
1) Torque converter is probably loosening up, wouldn't get too excited about it, pretty common on autos.

2)Rattles can be a real headache to find. A real tinny rattle is a heat shield or such, more of a dull rattle for cats, which would likely be coupled with occasional driveability issues.

3) Tires can make a howl, different pavement surfaces with certain tread styles can induce noise. Some tires start making noise as they get worn. Bearings are more consistent, they don't care what surface you are on, they make the noise all the time. Tires are not as consistent.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
1) Torque converter is probably loosening up, wouldn't get too excited about it, pretty common on autos.

Thanks...just never had one that felt so loose before.

2)Rattles can be a real headache to find. A real tinny rattle is a heat shield or such, more of a dull rattle for cats, which would likely be coupled with occasional driveability issues.

Heat shield I'd assume. I thought that originally, but couldn't find a damn thing.

3) Tires can make a howl, different pavement surfaces with certain tread styles can induce noise. Some tires start making noise as they get worn. Bearings are more consistent, they don't care what surface you are on, they make the noise all the time. Tires are not as consistent.

Alright...I was hoping tires, but I'm never that lucky.

Take it easy Ben. Take a deep breath and stop looking for problems. Don't be paranoid :rofl2:

HAHA...It's a natural reaction to vehicles I'm not familiar/comfortable. And the fact that my rigs are to my spec, this paranoia is exchanged for being too anal.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts