Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

5.4 Plugs! What am I missing?

Ok, I've seen all the Youtube videos and read up on it and talked to friends that have done it. :guns: The dreaded spark plug change!:headbang: Now I've looked at alot of sites to order plugs but, all the sites show a pic of just regular plugs not the Ford brain fart design. Is there any place I can go to get the right ones? Thanks!

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
What kind are you actually looking for?

I used the 1 piece Champion plugs that were supposed to 'fix' the problem of them not breaking off in the head. That part was true, the part that they don't tell you is how crappy it makes the truck run.

As much as I hate to say it, you'll probably want to install new versions of the same crappy 2-piece design that you already have. At least it will run right afterward.

Ryan

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Get a single platinum NGK plug and that is all you need. Change the plugs when the engine has had a chance to sit OVERNIGHT. Then change them normally.

The only way to fix fords ****up is to change to 04 heads.

Thanks all! Just realized its built in 11/02 but an 03 model. Wonder if that makes a difference?

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Nope, all the PI heads before 04 and after 99 are the 4 thread head design.

rambler

New Shoes......
two different heads,, the 99-04 will have the one piece plug that will blowout and then you have to retap the plug, the after 04 has the two piece design they were talking about...

Is your engine the 2 valve or 3 valve design? The 3 valves have the nightmare two piece plugs that break off. At the shop I work at we have done several tune ups on the 3 valve engines most plugs come out but a few always break we have the removal tool for the ones that break. The 2 valve engines just blow out because ford decided that 4 threads was all that was needed to hold a plug in an aluminum head.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts