Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I need a new or rebuilt dist for my

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Well I think if I did this right this thread will show up in the gen 4 forum as well as the classifieds. You might find someone here on the forum has an original one to sell. for a good price. If keeping original is important to you.

I took the plunge

and bought a CRTperformance HEI unit, I have had it on for two days now, went for a short drive and it is working fine for now. It was $139.00 and it is complete with coil, wires etc. One wire hookup, I just had to figure out which wire, as it has a lead for a tach as well.

thanks for the tips, FoT

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Just an FYI Guys..Grant it the Hei is a GM Design..it is one of the things they did right imo and do work well on Fords.From all my experience living in Ohio and our climates along with humidity ect.have had extreme effects on the duraspark control modules making them fail at a short term.I have had to replace many in as little as 5k miles.The HEI is a good way to go for folks who live in wet/cold climate/humid area's where air becomes dense with moister during season changes.Think of it as taking the best from both worlds and improving the reliability of your Ford in adverse weather conditions.just about every Ford I owned or worked on in my garage days back in the day had this issue with the control box at some point in time.many were what i consider pre mature failure.I would often tell my customers to buy a spare box and keep it inside the vehicle.Take it for what it is.

Last edited:

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I always had a spare behind the seat to swap out also. I have converted seversl trucks to the hei setup with no problems. It actually got rid of the mystery miss I had on the one 302 I had.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts