Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

460 - Timing Belt Replacement???

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Son drives the following truck:

F250
2-wheel drive
Motor is 460 V8
Miles are 85,000

What is the service interval for replacing the timing belt on this motor and what is a rough cost either at the dealer or at a private garage?

Just curious if it needs to be repalced at 100,000 miles like some other motors and is it a timing belt or a timing chain???

Thanks,

Fellro

Staff member
Ummmm, no timing belt on 460's. chain like in the old days. For the most part, no need to monkey with it unless it is causing problems. It's still the old school motors under all the electronics.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Ummmm, no timing belt on 460's. chain like in the old days. For the most part, no need to monkey with it unless it is causing problems. It's still the old school motors under all the electronics.

Thanks... hey where in Iowa do you live... where is Iowa county?

I grew up in Davenport and went to school at U of I in Iowa City.

Thanks,

Fellro

Staff member
Just a bit west of Iowa City, Marengo specifically, by the Amana Colonies.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Just a bit west of Iowa City, Marengo specifically, by the Amana Colonies.

Great... I used to eat at the Golden Ox restaurant all the time when looking for great home cooked food. Know it well. Is it still a good restaurant to eat at?

Fellro

Staff member
You must mean the Ox Yoke... Yep, still the place to go in the Amanas...

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
You must mean the Ox Yoke... Yep, still the place to go in the Amanas...

Yep.... your right... will have to stop there the next time I'm in the area on business.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
If you are going to change it out why dont you spend the little extra coin and get a gear drive, last a few million miles more...

If you are going to change it out why dont you spend the little extra coin and get a gear drive, last a few million miles more...

Why would you recommend a gear drive ESPECIALLY in a truck and they do NOT last a million miles (would be lucky to last 25,000 in a typically street driven vehicle) gear drives really have no place for much of anything anymore, they aren't good for race engines and never were much good in a street driven engine if they are the idler gear style (note non of the OEM gear drives where like the ones you would put into a 460)

DO NOT got to a gear drive in a 460 and definitely don't use a wishbone style EVER

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Ultimately it is your choice....I prefer the double roller timing chain and gear set,they last as well, never did like the gear drive noise myself.

Ford Truck Articles