Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I Just Got the Crap Skeered Outta Me...

Not really, but it could have been bad if conditions had been different...

I was taking our '97 5.4 powered Expedition to the dealership to get the oil changed when the throttle stuck as I thought I was decelerating down a highway off ramp. When I got it stopped at the stop light the engine was turning 2 grand in gear with my foot hard on the brake. I made my left turn and continued to the next red traffic light all the while looking for a place to pull off of the road. Just before the light turned green I felt the accelerator pedal pop up under my foot and the RPM's drop to normal idle. During this whole ordeal I looked to see if the floormat was interfering with the pedal, I pulled up on the pedal, and even checked to make sure the cruise wasn't on by accident. While I was sitting at the first stoplight I contemplated turning the engine off and checking it out, but then I would have been blocking traffic. I would have then had to start it in neutral with the engine revving up to high C and then drop the transmission into gear and possibly really tear up some stuff.....so that's why I elected to just sit there at the light in a power brake type of situation...

When I got to the dealership it was working flawlessly and as you probably guessed, they couldn't duplicate the customers concern...

Sounds like maybe a temporary, but dangerous, short in the TPS?

blacksnapon

Staff member
guess what I found!

TSB
01-21-5 IDLE - HIGH IDLE SPEEDS - THROTTLE STICKS AFTER STEADY STATE DRIVING IN EXTREME COLD AMBIENT TEMPERATURES - VEHICLES BUILT THROUGH 11/01/01 EQUIPPED WITH 5.4L ENGINE
ENGINE - 5.4L - PCV SYSTEM ICING - VEHICLES BUILT THROUGH 11/01/01

Publication Date: OCTOBER 12, 2001

FORD: 1997-1998 EXPEDITION, F-150, F-250 LD
2000-2002 EXPEDITION, F-150
LINCOLN: 1998 NAVIGATOR

This article is being republished in its entirety to update the Model Year and vehicle applications and the Service Kit part number.

ISSUE:
In rare instances, throttle sticking may occur on a few vehicles in very cold ambient temperatures after operating at steady speed or extended idle for a period of time. This may be due to ice build-up from moisture in the PCV gas on the throttle plate or throttle body.

ACTION:
Verify the condition is not caused by throttle body sludging, throttle cable binding, or interference between an improperly positioned floor mat and accelerator pedal. If no other conditions are identified, check for evidence of PCV system backflow. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Inspect the inside of the clean air tube at the PCV closure hose connection for presence of moisture, oil, or oily stains. If evidence of PCV system backflow is found, replace the PCV system with the revised PCV Service Kit, YL3Z-6A603-AA. Refer to the Instruction Sheet within the PCV Service Kit for Service Procedure.

PARTS USAGE CHART
Model Year Parts Required
1997-1998 Service Kit YL3Z-6A603-AA (Vacuum Harness Included)
2000-2002 Service Kit YL3Z-6A603-AA (Vacuum Harness In Kit Not Used) Order Vacuum Harness XL3Z-9E498-MA To Complement Kit Contents

NOTE: COMPRESSED NATURAL GAS UNITS ALSO REQUIRE F85Z-19C828-BA HOSE ASSEMBLY.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
YL3Z-6A603-AA PCV Service Kit - All
XL3Z-9E498-MA Vacuum Harness - 2000-2002 Vehicles
F85Z-19C828-BA Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) Hose Assembly

yeah..what Tom said

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Glad it happend to a guy that regularly wears depends anyway! ROFLMAO

Sorry Brad, had to! BUT I am sorry to hear. Lucky the wife wasn't with you too. She'd have been yelling and screaming and OMG!!

Had same problem with 2001 F150 throttle

I also had the throttle problem, got the truck in KC 4/4/06. My warrenty was up by the time I drove in snow with it, and it happened. Dealership only cleaned moister and did not tell me it would happen again and again with out fixing their poor design. After nearly being killed because of it a week ago. There needs to be a recall on this please report your experience to the National Auto Saftey. Dealership wanted 800.00 to fix. I had it done at a local shop for 500.00. I am on a mission and will stop until there is a recall on this. I bought the truck to be safe in that kind of weather, instead it caused more danger. Ford customer service was rude, mean and uncaring. After stating that it just was not fair that I had to pay so much to fix their poor design, one rep replied, "lady life ain't fair". Please report your problem to the National Auto Saftey.

Ford Truck Articles