Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

ranger beds?

Hello all,

Long story short...

A friend of mine has a 90 ranger that belonged to her father. It was wrecked by someone else and eventually she wants to replace the damaged body panels and paint it. It is not worth much, but it has a lot of sentimental value to her.

Hers is the extended cab short bed. Is that bed the same as the regular cab short bed or is it some odd size?

Just wondering how hard it would be to find a used one.

I know about the front panels. 2nd gen Ranger, B II (89-90), early explorer (91-94). I may have the years off a little, but I will check before anything happens. I also know what is available aftermarket for them. I used to rebuild totalled cars and trucks.

I just don't know about the beds swapping around.

Thanks,
Brian

If I ever do this truck for her...it will be way down the road.:wavey:

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I might be mistaken, but I think they are the same. I would take a tape measure to it first just to make sure.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I am not POSITIVE on that body style, or even a standard bed, but I have a cap on my extended cab shortbed flareside that came off a standardcab shortbed flareside, and fits perfectly.

I very much think they are the same bed, regardless of cab, but I am not positive.

Don't know if you'll be involved in the actual work, but I needed to find a T-55 Torx to remove the bed from my truck. Took a bit of looking to find one, which wasn't real convenient at the time. Ended up at getting a 3/8" drive (really wanted 1/2") at Napa.

I always thought they were the same bed. I don't have her truck here to measure, but I will ask her to do so. Good point.

The ranger beds (long beds anyway) were the same sheet metal from 83-92. On hers...it would be much easier to replace the whole bed than try to straighten it and replace sheet metal. The whole thing is twisted and smashed. The tailgate (whats left of it) won't even open.

We will see what she decides to do. The truck is not worth the work, but the sentimental part is.

Yes...it is a torx. An impact with a 1/2" drive makes easy work of getting them out. I am not 100% positive, but I think I still have one in my box.

Shocker

Charter Member
The short bed standard cab and extcab beds are the same. I have used standard cab beds on shocker before and fit good. Around here I could find them fairly easy but everyone wanted an arm and leg for them. Depending on how much damage, replacement bedside panels may be cheaper. I have used ones from LMC before and they were not to bad of a fit right out of the box.

That might be an option. The passenger side is ok. The whole bed is twisted though. I guess I will have to wait and see how bad it is when I get my hands on it.

The bedside and back are smashed. Not sure just how extensive it might be inside. Might have to remove the bedside and see if it relaxes back into shape.

If I could find a decent one for a reasonable price...it is a whole lot less work.

I know I can find tailgates. I got the one for my ranger (zero dings or rust) for about $40 and it had a perfect aluminum panel on it. Just scuffed it and shot the paint.

We used to buy aftermarket body panels from two different suppliers. Most fit well...surprisingly. I have never replaced a bedside before. :eek:

bobf100

Hey Brian - if you end up replacing that bed let me know. My everyday driver is a 92 Ranger and I might need to remove the bed myself so I'm interested in how much work it involves. The fuel filler hose is leaking between the tank and the filler inlet on the side of the truck so everytime I pump gas it leaks a small puddle on the ground. Was on the Ranger web site looking throught the treads and it seems the best way to replace the filler hose is to remove the bed as it is almost impossible to fix with the bed still on the truck. I guess I'm trying to determine if it is worth it or just let it leak. It doesn't leak much maybe a 1/4 cup of gas and it only leaks when I'm pumping gas so the hole is small and very near the top by the actual filler inlet. I've also been told that the replacement hose is pricey from Ford - somewhere in the $200 to $300 range. I guess I need to convince myself it's worth effort to fix.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Bob-
I pulled the bed off my '97 over the summer, pretty easy job.

Undo the six Torx bolts that hold it down, unhook the wiring harness to the rear lights, undo three screws holding the filler tube to the bedside, and lift the bed off.

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
Hey Brian - if you end up replacing that bed let me know. My everyday driver is a 92 Ranger and I might need to remove the bed myself so I'm interested in how much work it involves. The fuel filler hose is leaking between the tank and the filler inlet on the side of the truck so everytime I pump gas it leaks a small puddle on the ground. Was on the Ranger web site looking throught the treads and it seems the best way to replace the filler hose is to remove the bed as it is almost impossible to fix with the bed still on the truck. I guess I'm trying to determine if it is worth it or just let it leak. It doesn't leak much maybe a 1/4 cup of gas and it only leaks when I'm pumping gas so the hole is small and very near the top by the actual filler inlet. I've also been told that the replacement hose is pricey from Ford - somewhere in the $200 to $300 range. I guess I need to convince myself it's worth effort to fix.

If you need any help Bob let us know. We can make a get together out of it. YelloThumbUp

blacksnapon

Staff member
The difficult part is the torx bolts (especially if they are rusted) Get them loose, and then its just the wiring on the left rear, the three little screws inside the gas lid, then procuring 5 or 6 strong backs, and weak minds to help lift off the bed.

Why do you have to remove the bed to get the filler hose off? On my 89 we dropped the gas tank (to replace the pump) and the part that the hose is fastened to just unscrewed from the bed and came down with it. I think the part has 4 screws at the top that you remove at the filler door. Once it is out...the hose has a clamp at the top that you remove to get the metal part off.

Or is this another one of fords brilliant ideas like removing the cab to work on the engine?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I remember back a few years ago, on another site, the consensus was that it's EASIER to remove the bed than drop the tank.

I had the bed off mine because I blew out a brake line, and decided to paint the frame from the cab back and replace the rear shackles when I saw what it looked like under there. Judging by the condition of the gas tank straps, I would have broken and then had to replace quite a bit if I'd tried to drop the tank with the bed in place.

bobf100

Hey guys - thanks for your always excellant advice and thanks for your offer to help (cutting torch and all). Sounds like it's not too hard to remove the bed. I will without a doubt wait until summer when it's a little warmer to tackle that project. With enough beer that could prove in as one of our more interesting get-to-gethers yet. :thanks:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
hey bob... I've been meaning to make a trip to st. louis and we can make a meet out of it. Just say when. I'm am now open for the negotiation stage of travel.

Do I need a passport?

Ryan

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts