Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New guy engine question

After buying my 68 f100 and blowing engine i am in need of a rebuilt 360/390.
I have 2 places that have responded for info so far .They are
Gearheadengines.com
Precisionengine.com
Local machine shop wants up to 3500 to do a rebuild"worse case"
Gearhead wants 1899 "they pickup core"
Precision wants 1590 no core
Both include shipping
Has anybody dealt with iether
Anybody have good or bad to say.

Thanks
Pat

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I would look for a local shop myself.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'd go local as well, that way if something goes sour, there is less head ache involved in the resolution. Did the online dealers supply a quote for just the long block and the local guy included disassembly and install? And it may not hurt to tell the local shop you have other quotes significantly lower and see what he can do,

I'd stay local too, you can take it back if you have problems. Last thing you want is to pull then engine and ship it back to someone then try to explain via email what the problem is. Not to mention a local shop always seems cheaper to me, and you help your local economy...

Its 350 to tear down to get estimate and if he does work 350 is part of rebuild cost..I just am tight on money and didn't need this expense and the mystery of the final cost.All the online re-builders have complaints so i was looking for recommendations for other online re builders.I had a recommendation for Jasper but the have a **** load of complaints too.

Thanks
Pat

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
My father has a Jasper engine in his truck and hasn't had an issue. I have an Autozone engine in my truck. That was a huge ordeal with problems, but the price was good.

After buying my 68 f100 and blowing engine i am in need of a rebuilt 360/390.
I have 2 places that have responded for info so far .They are
Gearheadengines.com
Precisionengine.com
Local machine shop wants up to 3500 to do a rebuild"worse case"
Gearhead wants 1899 "they pickup core"
Precision wants 1590 no core
Both include shipping
Has anybody dealt with iether
Anybody have good or bad to say.

Thanks
Pat

I am not a fan of the FE family of engines but $1590 sounds low for a complete rebuild on a FE. I would be asking questions. Things like are all the cylinders bored or just the ones that are out of spec? You would be surprised. If they only bore the "bad" cylinders they use the old pistons in the holes. This cuts costs but also is not near a real rebuild. I would ask if the block is align bored. I would also ask what they do with the heads. In any case I would opt for the 390 over the 360. $3500 sounds high but I bet it is a good job. I would also ask if the block and heads are machined flat. All surfaces on the heads. $1800 sounds low for a delivered long block (or are you talking about a short block?) with return delivery of the core included.

I would think you could get it done locally in the $2500 range. If I were buying mail order I would go with companies that have been around for some time. Just my 2 cents. By the way who pays shipping on warranty issues? One round trip in shipping a big block will easily run you at least $300 each way. I am going local when I get my 460 done. I am expecting in the neighborhood of $5500. That will be a lobin' 650hp.

Last edited:
Thanks ..after looking at complaints for all i inquired about i have decide to go with local machine shop. Seems no one on internet does a standup job on work performed or warranty.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts