Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

351w FI without the extra emissions garbage on it

About 2 years ago 1994 F150 2wd was ready to become an organ donor. It had 350,000+ miles on it (before the odometer quit). The front end was full of slop, the rear end made terrible sounds and it had a couple busted leaf springs. Who knew that a few dozen 3 ton loads of gravel would hurt a 1/2 ton pickup? Anyways the truck had only about 50K on the rebuilt 351w under the hood, so I decided to look for a good truck that just needed a good heart. I hit the craigslist ads and I found it... a 1988 F350 Crew Cab 2WD, C6 with a locked up 351. The truck was in great condition for its age and had a really nice interior done by a conversion van company. So I picked it up.

At first glance the 88 351w and 94 351w looked pretty much the same and for the most part they were and it was a pretty simple swap. Even thought it was a relatively fresh rebuild on the 1994 I went ahead and replaced the oil pump, all the gaskets and water pump. I had my doubts that the vacuum solenoids near the coil and vacuum canisters on the passenger inner fender were of much importance, so I threw them out. I removed the smog pump and EGR valve and scrapped them. I made a block-off plate for where the EGR should be. I ordered a set of Hedman headers and had plans of eventually running 3" dual exhaust out the back but I needed to get it running so I just put some turndowns on the ends of the headers and scrapped what was left of my exhaust system including the cats. I did not install the o2 sensor. I used the distrbutor, wiring, and computer from the 88.

Even though a lot of my friends were telling me it would run like garbage with out all the emissions-related stuff, I had it fired up and running beautifully for about a week...
and then it stalled suddenly and had no spark. The distributor gear broke. The 88 351 had a cast gear and the 1994 had a machined gear. So I had to get out the cherry picker, lift the engine, drop the oilpan and dump out parts of the broken gear and put a new aftermarket machined gear on the dist and had it going again.

So here I am 2 years and about 18,000 miles later. The heavy 1-ton crew cab will throw you back in your seat every time you put the pedal down. It runs smoothly and reliably all the time. It will pull anything I put behind it. It will bury the needle well past the 85 mph limit by the time I get to the bottom of the interstate on-ramp. And it still averages about 11 mpg (which is not bad for a truck of this size and weight).

I know its not technically street legal without the emissions related junk on it, but I live in a rural area where thats not an issue. The only issue I seem to have is with speeding tickets. I guess I have proof that you dont really need all the extra emissions clutter under the hood for a fuel injected 351w to run great.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
It has the older eec system on it. You can get away without the smog stuff on the eec system. On the 95 or newer with obd they normally don't run well with missing emmisions parts.
Glad to hear your truck is running great.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts