Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Intermident fuel problem

I have a 96 f250 w/460. Every once in a while It wouldnt start. It starting happening more and more, and now it's about 80% of the time I need starter fluid to get if started. Although once it starts, it runs flawlessly. It has the 2tank system and it doesn't matter what tank it's on. I hear the fuel pump kick on like normal when it's not starting. I also only get 8 or 9 mpg wether I'm city or highway driving no matter the speed, but it's been like this since I had the truck so I don't know if that's normal. What could it be or what do I check?

Ok, so I checked the fuel pressure when it wasn't starting. 0. Then I removed the gauge cuz i thought I was doin something wrong. Then I cranked it tillit started and shut it down and retested. Then I was getting 40 by just kicking the fuel pump on. Then I started her and she was at 60. I disconnected and reconnected the regulator and she stuck at 60 the whole time. This is the first time I've used this gauge though, so I may br doing something wrong

Also, the vacuum seems to be fine, cuz when I removed the line from the regulator, the engine started to stutter and u could hear the vacuum line sucking.

Oh yeah, and when the truck wasn't starting and I was getting a 0 reading on the gauge, I know it was right because after I took it off I pressed in the Schroeder valve and got nothing. Did it again after I got it started and shut her down and did get fuel spray before I put the gauge back on

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Sounds like the fuel is bleeding back to the tanks like a foot valve is bad.
If you cycle the switch a few times to prime the system when it doesn't start it should start if it is a bad foot valve.

So after doing some research, I found that the fuel pressure should bd at 28-45 psi, so I'm guessing a bad fuel pressure regulator? But, would a bad regulator cause intermittent zero pressure? Maybe two separate problems?

flareside_thunder said:
At idle she should be running around 40 psi, only going to 60 when the line is unplugged.....

With the engine off and system primed I get either 0 or 40 intermittently. When running its at 60 wether the regulator is plugged in or not

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts