Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

66 F250 engine

Hi guys,
I'm a newb here.
I have my eye on a 66 F250. The engine looks original. I'm guessing a 352, however I'm morphing over from the early Ranchero world and need to get my sea legs, er, ranch legs on quick. Not sure what the tranny is. not a C4 :) it has a large pan.

I have a 302 I built and a C4 with small bell.(I need to find a big bell).
And I have the original Falcon motor and frame mounts.

Q: In the event this 352 engine is toast, is a 302 a viable solution to move this big ol sled? If so, will these frame mounts work or is there an adapter kit that utilizes this set up? Since these frame mounts have value, I'm just wondering if I should keep them or sell them...

What is the typical mileage one can expect with the 352 vs the 302 in a F250?

Thanks!

Hi guys,
I'm a newb here.
I have my eye on a 66 F250. The engine looks original. I'm guessing a 352, however I'm morphing over from the early Ranchero world and need to get my sea legs, er, ranch legs on quick. Not sure what the tranny is. not a C4 :) it has a large pan.

I have a 302 I built and a C4 with small bell.(I need to find a big bell).
And I have the original Falcon motor and frame mounts.

Q: In the event this 352 engine is toast, is a 302 a viable solution to move this big ol sled? If so, will these frame mounts work or is there an adapter kit that utilizes this set up? Since these frame mounts have value, I'm just wondering if I should keep them or sell them...

What is the typical mileage one can expect with the 352 vs the 302 in a F250?

Thanks!

You could put a 302 in it, but that's a heavy truck for a lil 302 to move. IMO. A 302 was never put in a 3/4 ton truck ever from the factory. No, you couldn't put a 302 on the 352 mounts I don't believe. It should have a 3spd trans if its automatic, a C6 trans or fmx or what have ya, who know's if it's been changed. I wouldn't put a c4 in a heavy, 3/4 truck.

if the engines bad, i'd rebuild it, find another or get a 390, etc

as for mileage, it depends on what gear set up u have.. but 10-14 mpg sounds about right

Fellro

Staff member
Actually, they did put 302's in 250's in the 80's. Not real common, but they were available. Mileage will vary a bit, as the 390 I had in a 75 with 4.10's got typically 8 mpg. There are a lot of factors that determine mileage though, so that one could have been on the low end, and it also was 4x4.

These older trucks weren't nearly as heavy as the newer stuff. You won't shave much weight by going to a F100. I have seen some that did the 302 and Mustang T-5 transmission and are happy with it. Some of it depends what you want out of the truck too, any kind of actual truck detail would nix it for me. I pull trailers regularly, so I need more bottom end.

You could put a 302 in it, but that's a heavy truck for a lil 302 to move. IMO. A 302 was never put in a 3/4 ton truck ever from the factory that i recall, if it was it was very uncommon. No, you couldn't put a 302 on the 352 mounts. It should have a 3spd trans if its automatic, a C6 trans or fmx or what have ya, who know's if it's been changed. I wouldn't put a c4 in a heavy, 3/4 truck.

if the engines bad, i'd rebuild it, find another or get a 390, etc

as for mileage, it depends on what gear set up u have.. but 10-14 mpg sounds about right

never seen one with 302, must of been pretty uncommoun.u could put the 302 in it, put really depends what ur wanting out of the truck

primetime

sawmill slave
I bought an 88 F-250 6800 gvw, 4x4 for parts a few years ago. It had a 302/AOD/4.10 drivetrain.

As Roger said, They`re not actually that heavy. And those old engines aren`t the fire breathing monsters we remember them being. I think a 352 was only rated for 205 hp gross.

Original auto trans should be a cruise-o-matic.

MPG will vary with set-up, but I do know that a 68 F-350 360 4-speed 3.73 geared truck with a 12' flatbed that I worked the dogsnot out of hauling scrap with averaged 11.

I wouldn`t waste those Falcon mounts on it though. If the FE takes a dump I`d fix and soup it up a little or get a 390 like Evan said and rebuild that.

Thanks guys. Is there any way to tell a 352 from a 390 on the outside? Or is that a piston measurement with the sparkplug out deal? Looks to be a stock 2 barrel as I recall. We'll see. there are some registration fee issues the seller is trying to work out....

Hey guys, how wide are these trucks? Assuming mine has the big side mirrors. Also an outer wheel to outer wheel looking at the front would help. I've gotta make sure this will fit between the fence and the driveway runners and rocks, yikes! (afterthought). i've been looking for dimensions online and i forgot to measure that part of the truck. My Dodge ram wagon used to fit ok.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts