Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1974 360FE Intake and Carb replacement

I want to make sure I'm covered for my next little project.

I was debating to either rebuild the 2brl carb that's on the truck or go ahead and replace it with the 4brl Barry Grany and Edelbrock Performer 390 I have. Since I already have the 4brl carb, intake and associated gaskets I have decided to go ahead and rebuild the Barry Grant carb and install it with the Eddy manifold. I bought the parts for the intake and carb swap quite a while ago.

I get home in about a week from workand want to dive into this so that I can get the truck running better.

Please let me know if I am missing any major key points in the steps.
Set timing (take note of where the rotor is pointing)
Drain coolant
Remove distributor, valve covers
Loosen rocker arms (in proper sequence and one turn at a time)
Remove push rods (keeping in proper order)
Remove intake
Clean up all gasket surfaces
install new (to me) parts in reverse order using "Right Stuff" on ends of intage instead of cork gaskets.

I am considering replacing the water pump with a new one since I am already this far into it too.

Is there any special attention I need to pay to anything in the heads or intake galley area while things are apart.

I think I have read somewhere, but I can not remember where.
Is there a special place the timing should be set to to take the valve spring pressure off of the rocker arm shaft before loosening it?

Thanks for any imput provided smilieFordlogo

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts