Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

replacing a rear brake line-size?

racsan

4xford
'97 f150 4x4, 5.4, brake line to rear axle bad, so rusty underneath im going clear from the master cyl (or to be specific, that proportioning valve right under it) to the flex hose @ the rear axle. looks smaller than 3/16 line? is it? too rusty underneath to just splice on a new section.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I believe they are mm. I don't know the size off hand your local auto parts store should have the exact size.

racsan

4xford
it was 3/16 btw, i bought a 25' roll of line and put new fittings on both ends. cheap double-flare tool took me 4 tries to get a good double-flare that i thought would hold. the first 3 i just didnt like the look of, wernt even, just crappy. back a few years ago i used a good tool and got a perfect looking flare on the first try. (but had to do a 2nd one because i forgot to slide the line nut on....grrr. ever do that?) was dark by the time i got the line ran so i had to wait until the next day to bleed the brakes.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
lol i hear ya man,i dislike doing brakelines myself, never could make a good double flare its an art.i alway use the made up lines with the fittings & if it jumps size on me,i use reducer fittings.tape em up with plumbers tape,works out the same & i never had a prolblem doing it that way.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts