Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Look at what was parked in front of the store today

Fellro

Staff member
PEDE012.jpg

This beauty was driven in and back home today, was cool to see it in action

Fellro

Staff member
I don't think so, I wasn't taking care of him. Likely some cleaning and care stuff if it was him I saw hauling it up to the register... Did have another guy getting parts for a 59 T-bird the other day. He was going to get platinum plugs until I advised him away from it. He is still running points on it with all stock ignition...

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
Yeah, the pic really doesn't do it justice...

very nice, looks as it wouldve back then

She looks like a beautifully restored truck - i like the original look best on those old girls.

Looking good!!

I took my old '52 Dupont paint chart into the local Dupont store a week or so ago to have them mix up some Vermilion (spelled with one "l") red since I'm gonna change the color of my truck. The guy was able to look it up, which was a small victory in itself. But he said they couldn't exactly match it anymore since the chemistry of paint has changed completely in modern times, even for a single stage paint. Their computer program, however, gave three modern colors that were supposed to be close. So I took their color charts outside and sat on the steps in full sun light and compared the three. Amazing that they were really different. So I selected the one that looked the brightest to me. A buddy is a painter and did up some of the small parts for me and it sure looks like the truck in your picture. Makes me eager to get to that stage. Stu

The paint guy is correct, Stu. There's a lot of colors that have been lost to the march of time and progress. As paint chemistry has changed, many of the less popular or low demand colors were never reformulated into the newer products. Computer generated matches have been extremely helpful, and they can get us very close, but as you noted, it still takes a bit of human eye to make sure it's going to be close enough or manually adjusted and tinted if necessary.

A funny related story, many years ago I was doing a resto on a 56 Lincoln Premiere. A very large and beautiful car, done originally in a beige color and no longer available. We found some areas not subjected to UV rays and unfaded and had the paint computer matched. It came up with an extremely close, modern formula in a single stage urethane (PPG), and it looked great. When I needed more, I called my paint supplier and gave them the number for another gallon. It wasn't even close. It turns out that the computer can not only find a close match, but can also adjust the formula to make it even better. This was noted by three asterisk stars after the number on the label. I didn't know the secret code at the time, but sure learned it after that. Fortunately, the adjusted formula was retained in the computer's memory, and we were able to duplicate the first batch. But you also want to make sure you have not only the paint code number, but also any adjusted formula that may be associated with it and your car/truck, if there is one.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts