Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Got a new ICP sensor installed - First major repair!!!

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Got a new ICP sensor installed - First major repair on my '03!!!

Last week, I was out shopping and upon restarting my truck, my "Check Engine" light came on and would not reset itself even after trying to restart.

Drove to my local Ford dealer and they got me right in with my favorite diesel tech (pays to have a good relationship with your dealership and diesel tech). He hooked it up to his WDS/computer and it showed an ICP sensor issue and/or low voltage issue. Upon clearing and trying several different tests, it would sometimes show up and other times it would not... so it was very intermitant.

I decided that I should just get it done and not worry about it. Low and behold, it was "damp"... but not soaked in oil like some have had issues with... but damp none the less.

What I found interesting, is that with all the diagnostic checks he did, my EGR, turbo and all other functions were perfect!!!!!

With 112,600 miles on my 2003 6.0L Excursion, this is the first sensor or part I havge had to replace on my 6.0L motor!!!!

Dam.. that sensor was pricy at $160.00, but my tech did cut me a deal on labor and I was out the door for $280.00 (tax, shop supplies and all)!!!!!

blacksnapon

Staff member
Goes to show, Beach, not all of 'em are bad!

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Your lucky. You must drive the truck everyday. Did you ever have a reflash done lately if not don't let them do it. The 03's ran great with the orig program plenty of power, Ford started cuting stuff back as they went along, now they get bad fuel milage these days with the new reflash. We tell our customers to drive'm like they stole'm and they'll run forever.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Your lucky. You must drive the truck everyday. Did you ever have a reflash done lately if not don't let them do it. The 03's ran great with the orig program plenty of power, Ford started cuting stuff back as they went along, now they get bad fuel milage these days with the new reflash. We tell our customers to drive'm like they stole'm and they'll run forever.

Really. I have an 06 PSD F250, and mine has always got excellent mileage, weither I was towing or not..........

I do drive my truck long distances on a regular basis, however. That could have something to do with it.

Gunner

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Really. I have an 06 PSD F250, and mine has always got excellent mileage, weither I was towing or not..........

I do drive my truck long distances on a regular basis, however. That could have something to do with it.

Gunner

If you drive them hard they will usually run alot better than a grocery getter. Every time I've reflashed a truck latley a customer always comes back complaining about poor fuel milage, it could also be where your located im not sure if they have diffterent programs for different areas of the US.

blacksnapon

Staff member
If you drive them hard they will usually run alot better than a grocery getter. Every time I've reflashed a truck latley a customer always comes back complaining about poor fuel milage, it could also be where your located im not sure if they have diffterent programs for different areas of the US.
After I did my reflashes, I always let them sit outside and run at idle, so it would learn the new strategies put in. Never had a power loss issue.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
After I did my reflashes, I always let them sit outside and run at idle, so it would learn the new strategies put in. Never had a power loss issue.
I'm REALLY needing to come see you for the inductive heating flash!! She DID NOT want to run this am. Of course, I usually plug her in when it's 30 or under. It was 21 here this am. She was feeling neglected I guess. lol

blacksnapon

Staff member
I'm REALLY needing to come see you for the inductive heating flash!! She DID NOT want to run this am. Of course, I usually plug her in when it's 30 or under. It was 21 here this am. She was feeling neglected I guess. lol
Just slip on down!

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona

Don't forget to remove the stickers from the back window before you head down for the reflash, don't want any warranty problems. smilietease :rolling laugh: :rolling laugh:

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Don't get a loss of power (unless someone does a reflash on one that needs to learn the vgt and just ships it) But were getting fuel milage complaints after reflashes.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Don't forget to remove the stickers from the back window before you head down for the reflash, don't want any warranty problems. smilietease :rolling laugh: :rolling laugh:
I'm pretty sure EVERY dealership in the country KNOWS my baby. ROFL

As Achmed said, "I'm scccrrrrreeeeeewwwwwwwwed"

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I'm pretty sure EVERY dealership in the country KNOWS my baby. ROFL

As Achmed said, "I'm scccrrrrreeeeeewwwwwwwwed"
Bring it to my dealer we just close our eyes. Done many headgaskets under war with a banks kit installed. Need to keep the cust happy.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Bring it to my dealer we just close our eyes. Done many headgaskets under war with a banks kit installed. Need to keep the cust happy.
At the moment, I don't trust mine to go THAT far. lol

Mine's had NOS, Water/Meth, non-VGT Turbo, 225cc Injectors, etc. etc.

Hard to hide all the port plugs in the intake. ROFL

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
At the moment, I don't trust mine to go THAT far. lol

Mine's had NOS, Water/Meth, non-VGT Turbo, 225cc Injectors, etc. etc.

Hard to hide all the port plugs in the intake. ROFL
So i've read. I love the 6.0 if I had enough money i'd own one. The only time we have a problem at our dealer is if Ford sends an inspector down then we can't do anything about it. But thats only when something major goes wrong and they want to see it. Good luck with your truck.

d-kuzmen where you at here in CT.

Last edited:
Ansonia in the middle

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts