Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Engine swap 87 302 into 85 f150

albath

85 Ford F-150 302ci Fi
My 85 F150 with 302 w/fi had a bad overheating problem and 160,000 miles on it, I found a 302 w/fi out of a 87 f150, other then the obvious serpentine belt I haven't seem much difference between the 2 motors. Now I know this swap can't be that easy, there has to be something that won't let this be a pull out the old and drop in the new motor job, doesn't there? are the fuel injection systems the same? or electronic ignitions the same? any input on these 2 year motors will be much appreciated. Thanks Al

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
disconnect all wiring... pull off hood.. bungie cord wires up towards windshield.

disconnect the stuff needed to yank the engine
pull old engine. drop in new engine.

reconnect. and you will be good..

nothing major difference.. idk if the accessories are different you may have to use the 85 accessories and belt but i doubt it... everything else is nearly identical.. intake hoses are setup differently... but nothing is different engine wise...

albath

85 Ford F-150 302ci Fi
Thanks for the input, I was thinking things looked like a good match, but a second opinion sure helps out. You never know, especially when you don't do something like this on any kind of a regular basis. Thanks again. Al

Fellro

Staff member
No changes, basically the same. Worst case, you might find some variations in the wiring harness, but that is fixed by keeping your original harness. if you choose to swap out the serp belt setup, be aware that the water pump can be a different rotation than the v-belt.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts