Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

question time

so just got an IDI a few months ago, and like most IDI owners, I want a good inexpensive, reliable, trail, winter and tow rig.

Found mine on craigslist, it's '93 4wd, 5spd, with only 131k on her now. seemed like a good deal, anyway, been poking around and reading online, and I agree, the intake looks lousy.

I'm gonna try to replace the pancake section, but what about the soup bowl? I don't have a torch or anything to cut that out, and wouldn't that prevent me from screwing the whole air intake down?

Also, noticed my valve covers seem to be seeping oil, for an 18yr old truck, is that no big deal? what about the heads, tho, are they directly below? I'm hoping it's not the head gaskets leaking, but oil and antifreeze look good.

and since I'm on the subject, what oil would ya'll recommend, I don't have the owners manual, but Haynes said 10w-30 can be used?

sorry for all the ?'s, I'm just d.i.n.k. (desperately in need of knowledge), thanks.

Fellro

Staff member
The intake can be easily modified to flow more air. I went ahead and made it ram air as well, but taking out a bit of the radiator upper mount. I them mounted a 4" pipe after that, which matches to the air hose off of the pancake section. You can use a grinder or air hammer to take off the soup bowl. Not sure on the soup bowl how much difference that makes, but it isn't a problem. My 86 didn't have the soup bowl from the factory, but had a small hole on the bottom of the air cleaner. I cleared out the hole to be the size that the soup bowl base has. As far as the tightening goes, just stop when it is tight, don't keep drawing it down.

Head gaskets aren't typically a problem except on the back two holes, due to their proximity to the CDR valve, which lets oil vapors out of the crankcase, kind of like a PCV valve does.Do the valve covers and that should be it.

I would be very afraid of using 10W-30 in a diesel engine, and if you did, be certain it is diesel rated. I know some that use the 5W40, but I personally am not brave enough. Factory spec is 15W-40 for winter, 30W for summer. I myself just stay with 15W-40 all year round.

thanks Fellro, figured I'd be hearing from you. got most of my info from your other posts. yeah, pancakes gotta go, gonna take me a bit to git 'er done, 'cuz fab work ain't my gig, I'm a total hack.
think I can let the valve cover gaskets wait a bit too, just seems to be coming from the front.
And I'll just use the 10w-30 in my Ranger, at least for the summer.

One more question tho, any opinions on cetane boosts? heard ULSD isn't so good for these older diesels...

Fellro

Staff member
The cetane isn't so much the issue as the lubricity. Sulfur was what lubricated the pump and injectors. They claim that the lubrication properties of the ULSD is the same, but I have my doubts. The mileage isn't what it used to be back on the LSD or regular stuff before the emissions regulations clamped down on the diesels.

alright, thanks guys, definitely a learning curve here, anxious to see what the winter brings...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts