Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Get bent (hopefully not)

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I believe this to be an issue of hype. Buyers see the totally rad commercials and endorsements, and think their truck is capable of running balls to the walls. While, it's a super capable factory truck...it's still a factory truck...and the public drivers behind the wheel don't have the same skill as the pro's that endorse this rigs and can compensate for factory flaws or have beefed the truck up. Not to mention, isn't there a thread floating around here somewhere about the warranties on these things, stating that offroad thrashing violated and voided alot of warranty work?

And in the case that these issues didn't arise out of offroad thrashing, what in the hell was Ford think with the weaknesses at that section?

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I don't think it is the drivers fault. Look at the promotional videos, and ads for the raptor. They are doing some pretty crazy stuff with them, which would make an owner think, "Hey, I can do that with my truck, too!"

Also, the frame is the same as a regular F150, so they will have the weaknesses, as well. Toyota trucks went through this same thing, and they offer an add on fix, with frame strengthening plates.

Just thought I would pass this on.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^That was exactly my point. But I do think it takes some common sense and a little personal responsibility to know the limitations of your rig...and if you don't, you have no room to complain...and if you pass those limits anyway, then you have no room to complain. Ya know, I've seen crazy commercials and shows dedicated showing off what the new Mustang can do...but I also know that the vehicles have either been altered, gonna be thrown away, or have better skills than I do and know the factory flaws and their style/technique comepensates for that, or don't care about the limitations of the care and won't try to make a warranty claim.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
This has been an ongoing discussion on a local 4x4 board for about a week now, and this link was posted today with an interview between AutoBlog and Jamal Hameedi, the SVT Chief Nameplate Engineer.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/21/svt-boss-goes-on-record-about-ford-raptor-frame-damage-claims-w/

AB: In your opinion, it doesn't sound like any changes are necessary – this is just a clear-cut case of vehicle abuse?

Hameedi: I don't know if I'd call it vehicle abuse – I think there's a certain learning curve going out there. The cool thing about the Raptor is that it's something new that has never been done before. So it's bringing a lot of new enthusiasts into this realm of high-speed off-roading. There's a learning curve with these new enthusiasts and the organizers – of how to properly run an off-road, high-speed event like this. This is part of that learning curve. One of the things that we state in our owner's manual is that you need to do a low-speed reconnaissance run – you can't just find an off-road trail and barrel down it at 100 miles an hour.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I looked at a few Raptors at a dealer and I don't even see why everyone is so excited over the truck, but that's just my opinion.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I looked at a few Raptors at a dealer and I don't even see why everyone is so excited over the truck, but that's just my opinion.

Ego and wallet size are directly proportionate to each other, but inversely proportionate to brain function.

My opinion was always that you could get more luxury for the same money, and you could get more function for less money. As I've said, that ride was to cater to a crowd that can't wrench, has to have the latest toys, and are typically accustomed to mall parking lots.

That being said, makes me wonder how all those government order Raptors are faring.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Yeah there were definitely nicer trucks at the dealer for the money. I couldn't even get past the stupid looking decal down the side of the truck :rofl2:

The salesman couldn't believe I drive a 1973 as a daily driver LOL. They tried to talk me into a truck after my fiancee bought her Mariner, but that wasn't happening.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Don't get me wrong, I do think they are fairly capable factory truck...but they're just that...factory. But that's not the persona they're trying to sell.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
^^^ I totally agree. After hearing all the stuff said about it and then seeing it up close it was a bit disappointing though LOL

UTfball68;470255 But I do think it takes some common sense and a little personal responsibility to know the limitations of your rig...and if you don't said:
I agree with you Ben, but how do you know the limitations on something so new. These guys found out the hard way. I would be one of those guys. you get caught up in the moment and reason goes out the window at a buck ten. Literally. I know a contractor that bought a Raptor, he is a more money to know what to do with guy, but his buddies who are chev guys and avid outdoors men said they are both buying Raptors for there next truck. They are the Nevada edition and Denali type guys.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^First thing that comes to mind, especially in this case is, 12" of suspension travel doesn't mean in one direction...it means 6" up and 6" down. I'd be willing to bet that would be a crucial tid-bit of info involved in these bent rigs.

You're not alone. Especially for that amount of money. I can't believe some guys abuse their trucks like they do. It' their money but some of them don't have a lick of sense.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ironically...there are discussions on FSB currently and there was a recent discussion on Pirate about purchasing a Bronco, putting 15-20k into vs. a Raptor in which sticker price is at least double. Given there was a bias in the discussion, but an overwhelming majority voted for the 20k Bronco.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
if i had the money to buy a raptor, i would still go the old truck + 20k route.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts