Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1966 F-100 Problem

I have a 1966 F-100 with 3 speed manual trans. on the tree. My problem is that when I am in reverse and let the clutch out the whole truck jumps and is almost impossible to backup. It is fine in forward gears. I have just installed a new clutch , pressure plate and bearing. It has a 390 slightly modified engine. Any help will be appreciated.

Fellro

Staff member
Well, the forums seem to be on the fritz tonight...
Anyway, blacksnapon had suggested that you need to check out the rearend mountings and springs, which made sense to me. Be sure the u-bolts, blocks, springs and hangers are all in good shape.
Also, my add on, was to be sure the shoes are not hanging up, as the retainer pins may be missing or damaged, allowing the shoes to move and catch.

lubester

Certified Ford Tech
loose motor mounts, if you can measure your clutch finger height. sometimes the fingers need adjusting so press plate engages all points equally. some are adjustable, incorrect amount of clutch disc dampening, too little. usually rev is a higher gear ratio than 1st contributing to chatter, oil on the disc. to name a few

Ford Truck Articles