Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2003 Explorer 4.6L Starter Replacement

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the starter on a 2003 Ford Explorer with the 4.6L?

There appear to be 3 bolts (but you can barely see 2 of them, so it's only a guess, you know how this garbage goes).

The top bolt that I can feel is completely inaccessible. What's the 'proper' way of removing this? I wonder if there's a guide from Ford for the Techs with instructions. I can get a socket over the head of the bolt, but there is literally no room for movement of the wrench. I can't even get the mucker to ratchet one click.

*seriously frustrated*

Ryan

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
So it was suggested over the phone that I needed just the right length of extension to get over the starter and drop down a wrench. I bought the extension but there wasn't a finger-width of room between the motor mount and the starter. I should have looked before I bought the parts.

I did get the starter off, however.

That mother loving, fatherless, son of a peacock wasn't even the problem. It still won't start and is giving me rapid-fire clicks. I'm going to do more research on where an additional solenoid is.

How many solenoids does it take to start a vehicle?

Ryan

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I literally can find no information an any aux solenoids. I traced back the wires to the battery and I can't find anything in between the starter and the battery.

This starter is getting power.

Erica his turning the ignition to start while I lay under the vehicle. I can feel the starter pulsing and going CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK (in rapid succession).

Ryan

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Yes. Dead battery. Full voltage, ran all accesories, windows, locks, lights full blast, but wouldn't start. I need a way to load test this garbage.

Ryan

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Replacing everything else IS one way to test it....:p

blacksnapon

Staff member
Yes. Dead battery. Full voltage, ran all accesories, windows, locks, lights full blast, but wouldn't start. I need a way to load test this garbage.

Ryan
turn your lights on then try to start. Dirty batt cables, loose connections or dead batt, the lights will go completely out. Everything you listed takes 5-10 amps to run. Starter takes 100 or so. Even a sick battery can run the accessories.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts