Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Check this out

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
This happened on my way back from my mom's place last night (~150 mile trip)

22mpg.jpg

So it was kind of a funny story... On the drive up, I average my usual 17-18 ish... And I drove around a bit up there before turning back the next day, mileage stayed about the same. On the way out of town, I filled up and got on the freeway. Maybe 15-20 miles down the road I noticed my mileage was higher than usual, like 19-20 mpg. My driving style was pretty much the same, especially since I wasn't watching my mileage. So something was definitely going on... But it's still climing! 20, 21, 22! Meanwhile I'm still cruising along at about 70mph with no cruise control, regular driving. It got as high as 22.5 before it finally kinda leveled off. I drove a good 40 miles and it never came back down. I was super excited, thinking that I had finally got past that magical break-in point.

So we stopped for a bite to eat at In-n-Out. Waited in the drive through and the mileage dropped a couple tenths of a mpg from the idling but nothing drastic. Shut it down in the parking lot and scarfed my burger before getting back on the freeway. Over the next 50+ miles my mileage kept dropping... It dropped down to 19.5mpg and then level back out. The strange thing is that the 21mpg was super steady and even my instantaneous mileage was showing 21mpg... So I know my truck is CAPABLE of 21mpg (heck, it's capable of 22 according to what I saw) but it seems like the computer is holding it back. I've seen this happen a few times where I'll get some mileage number, then stop and shut down the engine, then start it back up and get totally different mileage. It's pretty strange.

Drove it to and from work today and still averaged about 19.5mpg... So I'm not sure if 19.5 is the final sweet spot or if there's still more to come. I think I'd be pretty happy with 19.5 but man it'll be tough since I already got a taste of 22.5!! :rofl:

EDIT: Also, for the whole ~150 mile trip back from my mom's place I only burned about 1/4 of my 26 gallon tank. Seems pretty good to me!

Last edited:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Is that a cumulative number? As in the more miles you drive, the bigger change it takes to make a difference in the final number. If you get a different number after shutting it down, could the computer be resetting the cumulative mileage numbers?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Did you happen to notice a difference of grade on the roadway??? I know my trip home from work yields an extra 2mpg's over what I get on my trip to work. And potential gas quality, I'd imagine would play a difference. With my own car, depending on station and fuel quality, I've seen a difference of 3-4mpg's tank to tank.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Is that a cumulative number? As in the more miles you drive, the bigger change it takes to make a difference in the final number. If you get a different number after shutting it down, could the computer be resetting the cumulative mileage numbers?
Yeah it's a cumulative number. Nothing changes when you shut it down unless you hit the button to reset the avg fuel economy. When I started back up it showed the same number as when it shut down, but then it started gradually dropping from there.

Did you happen to notice a difference of grade on the roadway??? I know my trip home from work yields an extra 2mpg's over what I get on my trip to work. And potential gas quality, I'd imagine would play a difference. With my own car, depending on station and fuel quality, I've seen a difference of 3-4mpg's tank to tank.
I've made the trip countless times and I don't believe there is a significant difference in the grade of the road before and after our stop. Definitely not significant enough to show a 3mpg difference.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I do usually reset the avg when I fill up. And I did on Sunday night before this whole thing happened.

And the M does stand for manual. Starting in 2011 the 6-speed trans has + and - buttons on the shifter so you can manually shift or lock out top gears in Drive when towing. I believe ford calls it Select Shift.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Does it have paddle shifting Chris?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Wow... makes me feel better about gettin 18mpg hwy in the 98 lol
Chevy trucks are known for getting better mileage than Fords.

Does it have paddle shifting Chris?
They're not exactly paddles, just a rocker button on the shifts with + and -

Looks like volume up and down on a remote control for your TV. I'll try and snap some photos later.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Chevy trucks are known for getting better mileage than Fords.

They're not exactly paddles, just a rocker button on the shifts with + and -

Looks like volume up and down on a remote control for your TV. I'll try and snap some photos later.

ok..just curious, the MKT has the same sort of transmission selector, except when you put it in manual mode you control it with the paddles....personally I don't care for it, but I've not had any real practice with it.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
On an unrelated note, I used the cruise control for a bit the other night and I was really impressed that coming down a steep hill the trans downshifted and rode the gear down to the hill to make the truck maintain my chosen speed. I was still gaining some speed so it shifted once more and rode that gear the rest of the way down. It was pretty neat!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Quick update-- I was able to get a pretty steady 20-21mpg on the freeway on my way home tonight. Even saw 22 a few times. Then I got off the freeway and hit several red lights :headbang:

This was after commuting to work all week and averaging 17-18mpg as usual. Suddenly on the way home tonight it started showing me much better mpgs again.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Ford is incorporating "learning" capabilities in everything. Some may just use the trans, some trans and PCM, some just PCM. Its probably in the middle of its "learning" process.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts