Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

headers

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
Okay, so I want to install headers on my 360 and I would like to do it on a budget... suggestions???

Speaking of headers, do they generally improve or hurt fuel economy?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
If you keep your foot out of your new found extra power, they will help the fuel economy.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Hard to say Steven..15-35 perhaps...more with a free flowing exhaust.
Brands like Hedman, Hooker, Doug's...boils down to personal preference.

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
Hard to say Steven..15-35 perhaps...more with a free flowing exhaust.
Brands like Hedman, Hooker, Doug's...boils down to personal preference.

Have heard of Hooker and Hedman. Thinking about running straight pipes, although my wife will probably whip my arse.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Have heard of Hooker and Hedman. Thinking about running straight pipes, although my wife will probably whip my arse.

I wouldn't...heat from the cops, your own sanity after an hour driving and in some cases less performance as there will be minimal back pressure.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Personally when I did headers I found it to be a huge waste. The truck was loud even with mufflers. Gaskets blew out 2 or 3 times. Always was re-torquing the bolts since I bought "budget" headers. I went back to manifolds and cherrybomb mufflers and receive compliments about my exhaust a lot. Also the gas mileage seems better now. I did not see a huge power gain. But just like every thing else this is just my experience.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Another thing to keep in mind is going with shorties or long tubes will factor in where you'll see the power increase.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^To my understanding, shorties offer most of their power gains at the top end, and when dealing with a truck that you want low end grunt in, it's hard to see that power sometimes. However, I'm of the opinion that free flowing, less restrictive and lighter exhausts are never a bad thing.

when it comes to the 360's anything over the original manifolds you will feel the increase. I think that goes for the 390 too but I know for a fact the 360 realy wakes up with the added flow of short or long. I put a set of shortened/butchered long tubes on one and it made a difference then later got a cheap AutoZone set of long tubes (I think they were called FlowTechs) and was very pleased. That said, the long tubes will be better for eveeryday driving, but that is just my opinion.

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
when it comes to the 360's anything over the original manifolds you will feel the increase. I think that goes for the 390 too but I know for a fact the 360 realy wakes up with the added flow of short or long. I put a set of shortened/butchered long tubes on one and it made a difference then later got a cheap AutoZone set of long tubes (I think they were called FlowTechs) and was very pleased. That said, the long tubes will be better for eveeryday driving, but that is just my opinion.

long tubes with mufflers or without?

Think I will definitely take Duncan's advice and muffle the sound. Mine currently has a Cherry bomb single exhaust and sounds good.

Just trying to find ways to get better gas mileage...

When I first bought the new headers I ran 3-in pipe to the back of the cab and welded them strait to 5-in big rig pipes 5 foot long dumped just in front of the rear-end. Sounded awsome........................... the first week, then realy got on my nerves. Ended up getting a couple 18-in glass packs (2.5 in and out I think) and just spliced them in, still had an awsome sound but wasn't nearly as anoying and had a cool rumble when you would let off the gas to slow down.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts