Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

A mystery

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
On Friday while in the 750, felt a weird vibration/grinding through the floorboards that sort of came and went. Got home and when I looked underneath (kinda quickly as it was pouring) I noticed an amount of dirty black oil just in front of the pass. side wheel. Just before this I had gone through about 18'' of water as the town was flooding again :D. Today I went out (no rain) and checked everything...transfer case, diff, hubs...all oil is good and clean with no sign of water. Jacked up front and rotated the wheels...all felt fine. Checked all other vital fluids..all good...all U-Joints checked and fine. I'm mystified...going to take it in to the mechanic to investigate.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Weird. You already checked everything I would have thought of, so I'm out of suggestions.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Weird. You already checked everything I would have thought of, so I'm out of suggestions.

Yeah....I don't know what else to check and I really want to take the drums off here just in case.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
only thing i could think is power steering, or maybe its possible that you picked something up in the water. I.E. a can or something with dirty oil in it? Got snagged up and your wheel or tire was rubbbing it flinging the oil into its current position?

A long shot, but heck if i know.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thanks for the thoughts Don...checked the PS and also it is on the wrong side.
I thought that maybe I had picked something up as well, but really there would have been nowhere for it to go and I travelled probably a good mile after the water. Also had to reverse in to where I park and nothing out in the street...I'm bewildered...:confused:

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
If everything on the truck checks out, im gunna go with something from the water crossing...

But if your taking it to the shop, im curious what they are gunna say about it...

If everything on the truck checks out, im gunna go with something from the water crossing...

But if your taking it to the shop, im curious what they are gunna say about it...

x2

Picking up a piece of trash is possible. I once got a real bad miss in one of my vans, took it to the shop , they hooked it up to the computer to see which cylinder was missing. When he looked at that (passenger) side of the engine he found a 6" x 3/8" carriage bolt jammed into the 3rd plug back , causing it to short out.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Yea i was driving through some water and as i powered up the little hill on the other side, my truck died...

I couldnt figure it out!
found piston3 full of water! and mud in my intake! haha
see you can find all kinds of weird things in water crossings! :)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Just had a long chat with the mechanic...he brought up a couple of things:
Could be brake dust...as much as I thought it was oil, it wasn't mixing with the rain properly and once the wheel had dried there was no "oil" residue left, plus one thing I forgot to mention was the familar "burnt clutch material" aroma...very slight, but there. His other thought on the intermittent vibration/grinding is a small rock in the brakes...a somewhat likely prospect. In any case, going to go do a little job and see what happens.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Seemed alright, oil spewed from the one planetary, but as I recall now it was common on that side. I guess we will see what happens.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'm thinking brake dust. I topped up the drivers side planetary and a bit puked out the vent tube...a completely different look than what was happening the other day.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Drive it until something breaks and falls off then you will know for sure what the problem is ;)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Drive it until something breaks and falls off then you will know for sure what the problem is ;)

After checking everything..I think that is what is gonna happen!

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
:rolling laugh:

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I believe you said it was an automatic right? So that eliminates clutch dust. So yea break dust does make sense...

Plus with the other things you have mentioned i would be inclined to go that way too....

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Yep...automatic..with one gear programmed out.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Well ill save you the money for taking it to the shop, just send me a fat wad of cash for saving you 2 fat wads of cash...

If something does wind up breaking then ill just send your cash back...

:)
Sounds fair right?
:D

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts