Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Installed K&N (Generation 2) performance kit today.Pics included

I have been researching the "cool: air perfromance kits avaiable for a while and finally pulled the string on the K&N model. Officially called FIPK GEN II it is simply a replacment for the stock closed air intake system with a straight flow,increased filter surface open air system.
Instructions were great and the whole process took me and my boy around an hour to complete.
REALLY simple to install and remarkable results immediate. First thing I noticed was the whoosh of air flowing instead of restriction.People I trust have assured me a 5.8 Bronco will see a 9 HP increase and a 1.5 MPG bonus.
Now I didnt expect to feel the 9HP backing out of the driveway but I SURE noticed a unexpected increase in responsivness. FEELS GREAT.
Get the RPM's in the 3500 + range and u WILL not beleive what a simple mod like this cad do to performance.I wish I would have done this years ago:hammer:

Below are some pice of different angles and stages if anyone wants more info fell free to PM me I will even give u my cell in case I can help u anytime....Zep

throttlebodyjpg.jpg

closeupthrottlebodyjpg.jpg

airintakejpg.jpg

massairjpg.jpg

filterjpg.jpg

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
theres been alot of down talk on these systems, they do draw in more air, but the air is from inside the engine compartment which means hotter air than if its draw from the factoy position...

I think with a little bit of moddification, you could get the best of both worlds. I will need to look at my truck to see what i would be able to come up with to obtain the best of both worlds and maintain a somewhat stock set up

well, you still use the factory cool air intake. I took a good hour drive running errends today and I felt the housing of the new open air box and it was totally cool.
What are the downsides your hearing? Thanks Zep

IIRC, the best setup is a 300/460 intake snorkel. It maintains the factory air box with the superior filtering characteristics yet gives you a less restrictive than stock intake with a superior location.

Nope, sorry, that thing draws from under the hood. No one will convince me that drawing in hot under-hood air is going to improve your mileage or the performance associated with daily driving. 4-Wheeler Magazine/Performance Unlimited did a thorough undertaking of comparing intake systems IN FORD TRUCKS OF THIS VINTAGE and the results were clearly in favor of an insulated STOCK air box and intake location. The FIPK results show a 12% DROP in highway mileage and a 13% GAIN with the stock air box insulated and a k&n drop-in replacement filter. I believe the test truck in this case was a 351-equipped F-350.

Last edited:
Nope, sorry, that thing draws from under the hood. No one will convince me that drawing in hot under-hood air is going to improve your mileage or the performance associated with daily driving. 4-Wheeler Magazine/Performance Unlimited did a thorough undertaking of comparing intake systems IN FORD TRUCKS OF THIS VINTAGE and the results were clearly in favor of an insulated STOCK air box and intake location. The FIPK results show a 12% DROP in highway mileage and a 13% GAIN with the stock air box insulated and a k&n drop-in replacement filter. I believe the test truck in this case was a 351-equipped F-350.

First off while moving there is tons of cool air underhood unless yours is somehow sealed. Second Ive owned and compared both systems and NO WAY you will convince me to go back. I will monitor and see if it helps my mpg, that is still yet to be proven. Thanks for your input,I respect each and every one of you.................Zep

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
sorry zep but that is incorrect.

The airflow is going through the radiator, thats about it. The hot air under the hood creates an air cushion and air rushing under the car is continued to flow through, front air damn help with this.
It may improve performance, because your getting MORE air flow, but its not cold air.

Thats the point here.
Use the same set up with true cold air and you will see the point...

sorry zep but that is incorrect.

The airflow is going through the radiator, thats about it. The hot air under the hood creates an air cushion and air rushing under the car is continued to flow through, front air damn help with this.
It may improve performance, because your getting MORE air flow, but its not cold air.

Thats the point here.
Use the same set up with true cold air and you will see the point...

Are u willin to ride under my hood or do we have to smiliehijacked draw straws smilietease

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Everything is on you tube... So...
Im sure there has got to be some kind of vids of different vehicles, even 95 fords, in a wind tunnel during aerodynamic testing...

With that said...

Where would the air come from and where would it go?
Going around in the engine compartment?

I'll ride under the hood... better yet, I'll put a thermometer under the hood and then put one at the point of entry for the stock intake plumbing and we can compare the two while you drive around. That's how certain I am on this one.

I'll ride under the hood... better yet, I'll put a thermometer under the hood and then put one at the point of entry for the stock intake plumbing and we can compare the two while you drive around. That's how certain I am on this one.

NOT needed my friend, im sure its the INCREASE in air intake and not temp that is the biggest friend to HP in this case. BUT the vision of you under my hood is one that has me rolling.....Zep :)

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I have had and removed 3 of these on trucks I bought . Hey May work . But the $5 junk yard 300-6 air snorkel and insulating air box work better .

. So I'm with the other guys sorry . Now if you make a tube to go right out in fresh air go for it .

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts