Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

few questions about relays

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
wich one is the fuel pump relay and what does the other one does?

i can only find 2 at the drivers side fender.. :hammer:

one with green plug and one with a brown plug.. the green one clicks for the fuel pump to stop prime..

my question is can this relay stick ? so it doesnt work good? any way to test it?

thanks

this is about my fuel pump priming problem ( for the ones who knows ) now its taking more than 10 minutes everymorning to stop priming.. and its NOT a fuel pressure probs becuase it has more than enough fuel to start 4 cars after a second i switch it on. i know its the computer. but i just want to chek the relay before i replace the computer...

Same problem as mine and got it fixed with a new computer

my post about the problem

dont post more sulutions i know the sulution to the prob a new computer but just wanted to chek the relays first thanks :wavey:

Jurgen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mom had a grand marquis that the fuel pump relay would stick (on) sometimes. Even after shutting the car off...the pump would stay running. At first (until we figured out what it was) we smacked stuff under the hood (with our hands) until the noise would stop. Once we found out it was the relay, we replaced it.

I am not sure on your truck, but I think the heater/AC blower motor is the other relay out there. On the older rangers, the green one was the fuel pump one. I have no clue if the colors carry though on other fords.

The replacement one on the ranger was gray. :headbang:

I have no clue how to test one though. :(

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
EngineCompartmentFusePanelwithkey.jpg

The other relay you're seeing is most likely the PCM power relay.

If you want to pull your fuel pump relay and test it, put +12v on the 85 pin and ground the 86 pin, you should hear it CLICK. Remove the ground and it should CLICK again. You can repeat several times to make sure it's operating correctly.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
I hate to disagree, but the normally open contacts on a relay can be fused together, and the relay will still click. If you suspect that the normally open contacts are closed all the time, just pull the relay, and measure the resistance between the N/O contacts (pin 30 to pin 87):

170852044-L.jpg

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
skan what the heck is tha box? i dont have it ... i have a pile of wire mess there

and tested the fuel pump like you said and it worker perfectly :) also got it tested at shool for the resistance and the teacher said its ok..

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
That box is the power distribution box under the hood... According to brown on the other site, you're not supposed to have one... That seems awfully strange to me...

That box is the power distribution box under the hood... According to brown on the other site, you're not supposed to have one... That seems awfully strange to me...
Nope. he doesn't have one, just the two under the hood on the driver's fender. everything else is in the In-Cab Fuse Panel.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
All relays are marked with Ford ID numbers.

E9TZ-9C392-B .. Fuel Pump Relay & Bracket

Fits:1989/91 all E/F/U150/350-gas.

Marked E9TB-9C392-B1A, B2A

This is the only relay I could find.
---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
The usual Ford pump relay is basic part number 9345, but there's nothing listed under that number for the OP's 351W.

Here's what is shown:

E3TZ-9345-A .. Fuel Pump Relay 1987/91 E/F/U150/350 ~ 300/302/460.

Marked: E3TB-9345-A1A, A2A, A3A.

Last edited:

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
i was thinking
since the computer isnt sending the 12V signal to the relay to close the circuit can i manualy do it? by running a wire straigt from the battery to the relay with a switch ?

will it work?

its just temporarly untill i get my new computer in jan -feb.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
i was thinking
since the computer isnt sending the 12V signal to the relay to close the circuit can i manualy do it? by running a wire straigt from the battery to the relay with a switch ?

will it work?

its just temporarly untill i get my new computer in jan -feb.

The PCM provides the ground connection to the relay coil, not the 12V.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts