Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I need some help

i have a 2006 2wd f-150. i bought new tires and rims for it. 165 55 18r. which are 2 in wider 1 in higher and 1 in bigger rim. i put a 2" leveling kit on it but i only put the spacers on in the front. my steering wheel shakes when i hit 45 to 70 mph. how can i get rid of the shaking?? i heard a few different things but im wondering if someone can help me out. Thanks alot

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
do what???? 165's are tiny... are you sure they are 165's? those are TINY...

im almost certain your meaning 265..

but anyways thats even small for that size truck..

but the shaking is likely from the "leveling kit"... check back over everything make sure everything is tight and etc... make sure all your lugs are tight....

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Checked shocks, wheel balance, tires for belt separation?...as well as rims to make sure they are true?

yea sorry i should have double checked before i wrote it. its 275 65 18r. i got them balanced twice and alignment done also. its been like this for over 6 months.

it handles fine except when i go between 45-70 mph the steering wheel shakes like crazy.

i heard it was cause the drive shaft is at a different angle now cause i only lifted the front with the 2" spacers.

the guy from 4 wheel parts .com said i need some kind of bushing and a mechanic i know said i need a bigger balancing bar.

all this is completely new to me and i appreciate the help

blacksnapon

Staff member
yea sorry i should have double checked before i wrote it. its 275 65 18r. i got them balanced twice and alignment done also. its been like this for over 6 months.

it handles fine except when i go between 45-70 mph the steering wheel shakes like crazy.

i heard it was cause the drive shaft is at a different angle now cause i only lifted the front with the 2" spacers.

the guy from 4 wheel parts .com said i need some kind of bushing and a mechanic i know said i need a bigger balancing bar.

all this is completely new to me and i appreciate the help
Sounds like they're both referring to the panhard bar and the bushings. Problem is, you dont have one with independent front suspension. Invest in a quality steering stabilizer. Because of the changed geometry due to the lift and larger tires, common fixes aren't useful.

Just sounds like a poor alignment to me. Does it get worse the faster you go, and does it stop at 70 or is that just all the faster you drive? Considering you just had one done, I would suspect that is your problem. Just my $.02

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Make sure the aftermarket wheel seats all the way back. It may be the center hole is too small, and the wheel is actually loose

Make sure you have the proper lug nut to go with the aftermarket wheel.

You shouldn't be having a problem. I put a 2.5" on mine, and have been around four more guys who have done the same with no problem. I also know a guy who is running a 3'' leveling kit with no problem. I'm running 35" tires on mine, and no shake/shimmy. Do you still have the old tire/rim combo? If so, put them back on and see if it still does it, if it does then your leveling kit or install is the problem. If it doesn't, then there is a problem with your new wheel tire combo. It's a starting place anyway. I agree with what dustybumpers said, I'd check that the wheels are seating good and you have the proper lugnuts for them. Good luck.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts