Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Steering wheel knob choices.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Hey fellas....the PO of my new rig said that having the steering wheel knob made all the difference in the world as he puttered around town. He, of course, took it off when he sold it and I'd like to get one as I know it would help. The few times I've driven around town, I could see why it would be helpful without power steering.

I googled it and found about 1.2 million different kinds and was wondering if there was one that was better than the other or one that you guys/gals preferred over another.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
For cheap and easy to get your hands on, I believe Tractor Supply sells 'em. I'd guess any of the other implement dealers around would have 'em, too.

*Might look into legality, though. Maine can be pretty strict sometimes.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
For cheap and easy to get your hands on, I believe Tractor Supply sells 'em. I'd guess any of the other implement dealers around would have 'em, too.

*Might look into legality, though. Maine can be pretty strict sometimes.

Yeah......crap....I didn't even think of that...you are right about Maine laws....I'll check into that for sure.

We have a Tractor Supply in town and the PO actually recommended them...I just didn't know if one was better than the other or if there was quality issues with how they're bolted or screwed on as there were so many.

Fellro

Staff member
Main things with them (other than the legal issues) is that they work loose, and that they can pinch skin... The ones with no cap on the end when they get loose will pinch your skin between the knob and the pivot. The bolts just squeeze around the steering wheel, and tend to work loose. Have to tighten the ones on the tractors from time to time.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Power steering swap...nuff said.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Power steering swap...nuff said.

Hey Ben, is that hard to do? What kind of a job would that be and how much would a local mechanic charge? Parts?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey Ben, is that hard to do? What kind of a job would that be and how much would a local mechanic charge? Parts?

I dunno what would be involved on a bumpside, but I know on a dent, it'll run you you about $500 in parts and some frame cutting/welding, and should easily be accomplished over the course of a weekend. Having a shop do it...I'd probably add another $500 in labor.

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
If you can find one willing to do more than unbolt and rebolt...Typical shops don't want to deal with it for multiple reasons, as well as not necessarily even knowing how to do such a swap.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts