Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

how long should a tranny last ?

i have a 2001 7.3 with auto tranny, 28k miles, i installed a tranny oil cooler and filter, oil bypass filter, coolant filter, pillor guages, it seems to run cooler than normal, so thats good. it has synthetic oil. i plan on watching the guages close.

so u wise ones tell grashopper what can i expect?
ill pull a rv 6-8 times a year. use sparingly.

i know there are some real goooood experienced ford techs looking in.
what do u think?smilieFordlogo

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I can't speak on your exact tranny, but from what I've experienced, I usually get 200-225,000 miles out of auto trannies. Remember when you're towing that 6-8 times a year, to keep the OD off. And most importantly, heat kills autos, so the cooler you can keep it, the better.

Wow, that's low mileage for an '01.

It's impossible to say exactly how long it will last, but I think it's safe to say that as long as you keep it properly serviced and maintain the stock power level on the motor your trans will last a long time.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
If you keep it cool, keep it maintained, leave the 7.3 stock and keep your foot out of it (when possible smilieFordlogo ) you shouldnt have any major problems anytime soon.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
The autos behind the 7.3l are what kept the Ford Superduty Diesel from becomming more legendary than the Dodge/Cummins. That said, if you are only towing and towing an RV 6-8 times per year, service, service, service. Fluid breakdown or contamination from lack of use is what would concern me the most. I would say have the trans serviced 1 per year using top quality fluids. From what you described, it sounds like you have a good handle on having your truck set up to do what you do with it. Remember the best synthetic oil in the world don't protect a thing if it has water/moisture in it.

i have a coolant filter,tranny filter,bypass oil filter, all which i will change 5-6k miles.
along with the tranny cooler, it aha not gotten hot weather yet , but the temp fuage showes the tranny cooler doing its job.
the gillar guages will keep me posted on tranny temp.

Not really same topic but i have the same truck and i was told when i bought it that replacing the fuel filter every other oil change could extend your engine life. As for the tranny I've always heard that a hundred thousand is just braking a diesel in and if you take care of it it can last over 300k miles and that's using it on a farm to haul heavy loads all day every day.

Ford Truck Articles