Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Help with wheels

Hello,

Have a 49 ford F-3 which I have been trying to get done over the last couple of years. Getting pretty much down to the end of the restoration and am having difficulty with the wheels. I currently have 7-50x17 inch tires which are in dire need of replacement. I had come pretty close to choosing some replacement tires from Coker, but at the time the attempt was made to remove the old tires, before purchasing new tires, it was discovered that what I thought was a one piece rim is actually a two piece rim. These rims are not the widowmakers at all and appear to be one piece at glance, but once it was mounted on the tire removal machine, alas, from the back side it is apparent that these are two piece rims. Before proceeding, can anyone help me determine what kind of rims these might be and how I can proceed with the tire removal? The rims were on the truck when i bought it, so, i have no contact info to go back and check as to the specifics of this rim. They are marked with a number on the front side of the rim which begins
49- etc.... Would these be original rims common to the 3/4 ton trucks of 49? Where might I find a fifth one so that I can get a spare mounted? If I am going to have difficulty with these rims and their removal and reassembly, what would be my choices in a replacement rim in a 16 or 16 1/2 inch or 17" 8 lug rim that would be easier to find and easier to match up to a wider variety of tires? The center hole diameter of these current rims are 4 3/4". 8 lugs with 2 1/2" from center of one lug to another beside it, and 6 1/2" from center of one lug to the center of another lug on opposite side of rim. Also, can anyone direct me to an area where i might find a diagram of how to mount weatherstripping on my doors? Any help will be appreciated.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Nice looking trucks!

I see you've been talking to Stu on FTE. Nobody, and I mean nobody knows wheels and what works with what truck like Stu. Sometimes he overwhelms me with info, but he's always right on.

I was going to post some links, but you already have that info. A search there will also bring up some threads re: problems with F3's and wheel clearance on the big drums. It's probably the toughest truck to find new wheels for - only because your brake drum is too large for smaller (16 or 16.5) wheels to fit over.

Stu listed options for you in his second post. Did that help you sort thru it?

In case somebody else finds this thread, this is the thread I've been talking about:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1053032-wheel-help.html

Last edited:
Tim,

thanks so much for replying. I am trying to figure out what route to go and the costs associated with each route. I am going to take the next few days to try and put together a game plan and get moving forward towards resolving it. I appreciate your time. If you have any leads to help me, please let me know. I can use the help.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts