Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

under hood light option for gen.7

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Went to the wreckers and found the factory under hood light option. Tested the unit and it works fine. (has the complete harness and plugs, etc.) My truck has the green wire on the drivers side firewall with the plug were you get the 12 volt supply, but there is no power to it. This is where I'm stuck. All fuses are in place and not burnt out, have a good ground and the grounding strap is on the hood/firewall. I used a jumper wire direct from the battery and it works great. So how come no power to the factory plug-in :headbang:

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
If the fuse is good trace the wire and check for continuity with a meter. Maybe it is broken somewhere.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Maybe someone will have a wiring diagram so you can see exactly where the wire goes to make it a bit easier. I don't have any otherwise I would scan it for you.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Found the problem. The factory connector at the firewall still wasn't clean enough to make a good connection. I used 220 grit sand paper to clean it and the light works great. No need to have the lights on to make it work, there is always power to it.

Last edited:
Edit:

That will teach to post a reply before reading the entire thread ;(

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
As you found, the headlights do not need to be on for the hood lights to work, they are a full time live. It should be able to come on any time the hood is up. I have that on my 86, it was on the old man's 84, he took it off and did something with it...

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
I wish I could find one for my truck. I've added everything for the light group to my F100, except for that light.

I got lucky about 2 weeks ago when I went to the wreckers and saw a XLT Lariat. Been taking everything that is good. Like that you can just plug&play with the wiring harness. I still need the rear cargo light. Hope you find one soon smilieFordlogo

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I got lucky about 2 weeks ago when I went to the wreckers and saw a XLT Lariat. Been taking everything that is good. Like that you can just plug&play with the wiring harness. I still need the rear cargo light. Hope you find one soon smilieFordlogo

The plug and play aspect is awesome isn't it?

As for the cargo light, I have 4 of them in my shop, and the harness too. Interested?

When you get a cargo light, try to find a 92 F-Series truck, and nab the cargo light gasket from it. The 1980-1991 Cargo Light gaskets are thin, and complete crap, where the 1992 gasket is thick and doesn't wear out near as bad. Other than that, the cargo lights are all the same, 1980-1992.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
The plug and play aspect is awesome isn't it?

As for the cargo light, I have 4 of them in my shop, and the harness too. Interested?

When you get a cargo light, try to find a 92 F-Series truck, and nab the cargo light gasket from it. The 1980-1991 Cargo Light gaskets are thin, and complete crap, where the 1992 gasket is thick and doesn't wear out near as bad. Other than that, the cargo lights are all the same, 1980-1992.

THANKS, I already told the guys not to sell anything off the truck till I'm done. The cargo light will be a little more work. Need to cut the hole in the cab and run the new harness in the head liner and down the pillar. Do you know if the head liner from a 90's extra cab will work to replace mine in the 1983?

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
THANKS, I already told the guys not to sell anything off the truck till I'm done. The cargo light will be a little more work. Need to cut the hole in the cab and run the new harness in the head liner and down the pillar. Do you know if the head liner from a 90's extra cab will work to replace mine in the 1983?

I had to cut the hole in my cab too. It was the most depressing thing. Make sure you make a template out of plastic or something from the old truck so you can transfer the shape of the hole and screw patterns to your truck before you cut. As for the headliner, it should fit. They didn't change as far as I know. Should still be the same cardboard underneath.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
I had to cut the hole in my cab too. It was the most depressing thing. Make sure you make a template out of plastic or something from the old truck so you can transfer the shape of the hole and screw patterns to your truck before you cut. As for the headliner, it should fit. They didn't change as far as I know. Should still be the same cardboard underneath.

I'll have to get the headliner tomorrow. (It's red like mine, but it's in mint condition) I heard that cutting the hole is a *****, thanks for the tip. Wouldn't want to mess up. What tool did you use? (grinder)

Fellro

Staff member
I can do some looking, might have a spare I can give up... come across a few lately. in the trucks I have picked up no less.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I'll have to get the headliner tomorrow. (It's red like mine, but it's in mint condition) I heard that cutting the hole is a *****, thanks for the tip. Wouldn't want to mess up. What tool did you use? (grinder)

I used a keyhole saw, and a drill/bit to make the pilot holes. A grinder will work too if you have access to one, just make sure you don't make the hole too big, and make sure the hole is straight to or the light will sit crooked.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
I used a keyhole saw, and a drill/bit to make the pilot holes. A grinder will work too if you have access to one, just make sure you don't make the hole too big, and make sure the hole is straight to or the light will sit crooked.

Hey Shaun, cut the hole for the cargo light. Used my DeWalt grinder with a thin metal cutting disc. Man, only took me five minutes. I marked the opening out with a black felt pen. To make sure the holes were in the right location, I just put the cargo light into the hole and used an awl to mark the centers. Looks great !! Liner and wiring harness this weekend. smilieFordlogo

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Hey Shaun, cut the hole for the cargo light. Used my DeWalt grinder with a thin metal cutting disc. Man, only took me five minutes. I marked the opening out with a black felt pen. To make sure the holes were in the right location, I just put the cargo light into the hole and used an awl to mark the centers. Looks great !! Liner and wiring harness this weekend. smilieFordlogo

Sweet man! Glad to hear it. As a tip for the harness, use either the old harness to fish the new one through, or use a coat hanger. If it gets caught, don't force it, just ease it back again, and try to free it, then pull again.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Sweet man! Glad to hear it. As a tip for the harness, use either the old harness to fish the new one through, or use a coat hanger. If it gets caught, don't force it, just ease it back again, and try to free it, then pull again.

Thanks !! I did just that, using the old harness, and it did get stuck a few times! The new head liner went in too. What a change. smilieIagree

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts